Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Pascalis Samaras <ps...@the.unisoft.gr> on 1997/04/23 16:40:02 UTC

general/461: More detailed description of problem 458 (TERM, HUP and KILL signals)

>Number:         461
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       More detailed description of problem  458 (TERM, HUP and KILL signals)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When I stop the httpd ( kill -TERM pid ) I can not  restart it and the following messages appear

bind: Address already in use
httpd: could not bind to port xxx.

netstat -an reports than port is in LISTEN state.

When I send a KILL signal the behavior is similar to TERM but child processes
are not killed (some of them) and they do not respond to requests.

When I send a HUP signal to re-read the configuration (kill -HUP httpd.pid) the same messages appear, the parent httpd process is killed, some child processes
remain (but the do not respond to requests) and I connot kill them
(using kill -TERM or kill -KILL)

The following are loged in error_log when HUP signal is send :

[Wed Apr 23 13:27:54 1997] child process 602 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
[Wed Apr 23 13:27:58 1997] child process 602 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Wed Apr 23 13:28:03 1997] child process 602 still did not exit, sending a SIGKI
LL
[Wed Apr 23 13:28:07 1997] could not make child process 602 exit, attempting to
continue anyway
[Wed Apr 23 13:28:07 1997] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to restart

This problem looks relative with problems 253, 273, 303, 381.
>How-To-Repeat:
These problems repeat always.