Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Da...@lotus.com on 2000/10/10 16:13:25 UTC

Re: Compiling under Visual Studio 97

I doubt very much that you'll get Xalan to compile under MSVC 5.0.  I think
a few people have floated the question, but the answer has pretty much been
the same.  You might try looking at the file AIXDefinitions.hpp to see what
had to be done to make things compile under an older compiler.  You could
then modify VCPPDefinitions.hpp to see if you get farther.

You might also try deleting typename wherever you see it.  Older compilers
that don't support typename will probably compile the code correctly.

Remember that you must also compile Xerces with the same version of VC++.

Dave

                    Mel
                    <mel@csn.ul.i        To:     xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
                    e>                   cc:     (bcc: David N Bertoni/CAM/Lotus)
                                         Subject:     Compiling under Visual Studio 97
                    10/10/2000
                    12:29 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    xalan-dev

Ok. I checked the FAQ and what little docs I could find and I didn't see
anything with dealing with compiling under VS 97 :-(

I know the problem, typename isn't supported. I can't get a new compiler
and I can't #define it out because a base type is used in AttributeList.
This looks suspiciously like something that many people have run into so I
was hoping there was a known workaround? If there is, I would be very
happy to hear it *grin*. Might be worth adding to the FAQ as well, even if
there isn't one.

Thanks ppl

                               Mel

XalanC: doesn't handle accented characters correctly.

Posted by David Braaten <da...@multiactive.com>.
nt4, sp5. vc6, sp4.

I've tried with cvs sources as of Sept. 14 and Oct. 7, and they both
produce the same results.

XML file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<in> the o with circonflex:ô the o with accent: ó and a couple spaces </in>

XSL file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
 <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
<h1><xsl:value-of select="in"/></h1>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

The output:
1) If the data in the <in> tag is as above, it produces some bizarre
entities and eats a few characters after each one.

<h1> the o with circonflex:&#654568;e o with accent: &#391214;d a couple
spaces </h1>

2) If I put a CDATA tag around the data in the <in> tag, I get this error:
========= Parsing file:///D:\test.xml ========
==

Fatal Error at (file file:///D:\\test.xml, line
 2, char38): Invalid character (Unicode: 0xDA3F)
XSL Error: Could not parse file:///D:\test.xml
 document!

XSLException Type is : XSLTProcessorException
Message is : Could not parse file:///D:\test.xml document!

I know someone else was having a problem with accented characters before
David made his transcoding changes... I am assuming UTF-8 encoding is
supposed to support those characters. (made by using the ALT+ 0 2 4 4  and
ALT+ 0 2 4 3 method.)

So two questions:
1) Am I supposed to be allowed to put CDATA around that kind of data?
2) Can you fix up the handling of these characters ?  ;)

tia
-Dave