Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se> on 2006/01/31 08:43:10 UTC

[VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Hi,

So, let's get this ballot about space-before-parens style started.  The
plan was outlined here:
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-01/0940.shtml

The proposal is to reformat all core C code into a consistent style
regarding the use of a space between a function name and the following
parentheses.  This applies to calls to function-like macros as well.  If
the answer is "yes", we will vote about which style to use.  If the answer
is "no", we will vote about requiring one style for new code.

Please put an X in one of the squares below.  Everyone can vote; though
only full committer votes are binding.  Since this has been discussed,
there is no need to include a justification for your vote.

The alternative which gets the highest number of votes wins.  Ballot ends
Friday 2006-02-03T09:00Z.  I'll post a summary thereafter.

  [ ] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
  [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
  [ ] Abstain

Happy voting,
//Peter

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Julian Foad wrote:

> Peter N. Lundblad wrote:
> >
> > the answer is "yes", we will vote about which style to use.  If the answer
> > is "no", we will vote about requiring one style for new code.
>
> To be absolutely clear, "Yes" means we will then choose a style for the
> project, reformat existing code, and stick to that style for all new code,
> whereas "No" does not necessarily mean that we will choose a single style for
> new code.  Correct?  (I'm not implying there's anything good or bad about
> that.)  If so, here's my vote.

That's correct, so your vote is registered.

Thanks,

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Peter N. Lundblad wrote:

> the answer is "yes", we will vote about which style to use.  If the answer
> is "no", we will vote about requiring one style for new code.

To be absolutely clear, "Yes" means we will then choose a style for the
project, reformat existing code, and stick to that style for all new code,
whereas "No" does not necessarily mean that we will choose a single style for
new code.  Correct?  (I'm not implying there's anything good or bad about
that.)  If so, here's my vote.

   [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
   [ ] Abstain

At first, I thought I'd like to vote for reformatting in the dominant style,
but not for reformatting in the other style.  Then I realised that's illogical.
  I'm happy with reformatting (partly because it will drive us to improve
Subversion blame etc. to cope with it), and I'm happy with either style.

- Julian

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Jim Blandy <ji...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
>   [X ] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
>   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
>   [ ] Abstain

-Fitz

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 1/31/06, Peter N. Lundblad <pe...@famlundblad.se> wrote:
[ ] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
[X] No, don't reformat existing code
[ ] Abstain

Justification: because of problems with svn blame
--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.
On 1/31/06, Brian W. Fitzpatrick <fi...@red-bean.com> wrote:

> I think I smell consensus here, gents.

It appears there's been a large elephant standing next to us for 5 years.  :-)

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On 31 Jan 2006 19:20:53 -0600, kfogel@collab.net <kf...@collab.net> wrote:

> "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> writes:
> > > [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
> > > [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
> > > [ ] Abstain
> >
> > I think I smell consensus here, gents.
>
> /me opens up a can of Procedural Fu
>
> It's not consensus, it's a vote :-).  One with a clear majority, but
> still... They're different processes, for different purposes.

I think it's both.

king of the nitpickers,

He's not kidding folks, he's got *boxes* of nits at his house.

-Fitz

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> writes:
> > [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
> > [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
> > [ ] Abstain
>
> I think I smell consensus here, gents.

/me opens up a can of Procedural Fu

It's not consensus, it's a vote :-).  One with a clear majority, but
still... They're different processes, for different purposes.

king of the nitpickers,
-Karl

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by David James <dj...@collab.net>.

David James -- http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.

Posted by Helio Chissini de Castro <he...@mandriva.com>.
Em Terça 31 Janeiro 2006 11:13, Michael Sinz escreveu:
   [x] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
   [ ] Abstain

--
Helio Chissini de Castro
Research and development

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
  [ ] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
  [x] No, don't reformat existing code
  [ ] Abstain

--
Michael Sinz               Technology and Engineering Director/Consultant
"Starting Startups"                          mailto:Michael.Sinz@sinz.org

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Chris Foote <cf...@v21.me.uk>.

Posted by Daniel Berlin <db...@dberlin.org>.

Posted by Molle Bestefich <mo...@gmail.com>.
Peter N. Lundblad wrote:
>   [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
>   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
>   [ ] Abstain

Justification:
There's problems with 'svn blame'.

Reformatting will get the Subversion project more on par with how
things are looking in other organizations using svn / doing minor
whitespace fixes.

"Taking your own medicine", sort of.
Consider it a motivation to improve 'svn blame' :-).

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Peter N. Lundblad wrote:
> The alternative which gets the highest number of votes wins.  Ballot ends
> Friday 2006-02-03T09:00Z.  I'll post a summary thereafter.
>
>   [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
>   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
>   [ ] Abstain
>
> Happy voting,
> //Peter

Blair

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Ivan Zhakov wrote:

> On 1/31/06, Peter N. Lundblad <pe...@famlundblad.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, let's get this ballot about space-before-parens style started.  The
> plan was outlined here:
> http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-01/0940.shtml
>
> The proposal is to reformat all core C code into a consistent style
> regarding the use of a space between a function name and the following
> parentheses.  This applies to calls to function-like macros as well.  If
> the answer is "yes", we will vote about which style to use.  If the answer
> is "no", we will vote about requiring one style for new code.
>Does "no" means that we require follow consistent style for changes of
>existing code?

Nope. If we get "no", we will vote about whether to use a consistent style
for new code (mainly new files) and in that case, which style to use.  No
one has really proposed to follow a new style for new (or modified) code
in existing files.

I guess we can discuss this further if we come to a "no" in this ballot,
i.e. adding another proposal.  Let's take this one step at a time not to
complicate things too much:-)

Regards,

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
On 2006-01-31 09:43+0100, Peter N. Lundblad wrote:
>   [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
>   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
>   [ ] Abstain

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
[X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
[ ] No, don't reformat existing code
[ ] Abstain

/Tobias

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
>   [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
>   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
>   [ ] Abstain

bye,

Erik.

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
   [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
   [ ] Abstain

And thanks, Peter, for driving this.

-Karl

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
>   [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
>   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
>   [ ] Abstain

Sander

Results of: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Peter N. Lundblad wrote:

> So, let's get this ballot about space-before-parens style started.  The
> plan was outlined here:
> http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-01/0940.shtml
>
> The proposal is to reformat all core C code into a consistent style
> regarding the use of a space between a function name and the following
> parentheses.

And here are the results:

      Yes, reformat all code to a       No, don't reformat existing code:
          consistent style:
        John Peacock (non-binding)        Michael Sinz (non-binding)
        Chris Foote (non-binding)         zhakov
        Molle Bestefich (non-binding)
        Helio de Castro (non-binding)
        jimb
        cmpilato
        julianfoad
        sussman
        fitz
        kfogel
        jaa
        brane
        jerenkrantz
        dionisos
        rooneg
        striker
        dlr
        ringstrom
        lundblad
        djames
        dberlin
        blair
Total:     22                                 2
Binding:   18                                 1

Clearly, we are going to reformat the C code to a consistent
space-before-paren style, and we will vote about which in a moment.

If anyone feels that her vote is not correctly included in the above
table, please say so, so this can be corrected.

Thanks for all the votes,

Posted by Molle Bestefich <mo...@gmail.com>.
Branko Čibej wrote:
> [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
> [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
> [ ] Abstain

> I'd never have believed that this group of rabid individualists
> would actually vote for something like this. :)

And so unanimously.

On an unrelated note, the AJAX Silence-before-the-Storm Radar (TM) I
have sitting on my desk is going crazy.  Hmm, I wonder.

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
[X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
[ ] No, don't reformat existing code
[ ] Abstain

I'd never have believed that this group of rabid individualists would
actually vote for something like this. :)
Well, I anticipate a less obvious result on the next vote ...

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Reformat code for consistent space-before-paren style?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 1/31/06, Peter N. Lundblad <pe...@famlundblad.se> wrote:

>   [X] Yes, reformat all code to a consistent style
>   [ ] No, don't reformat existing code
>   [ ] Abstain

-garrett