Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Christopher K. St. John" <ck...@distributopia.com> on 2002/02/12 22:26:36 UTC

Little tiny embedded Catalina?

 I've got a distributed tool that uses servlets for its
admin interface. I'm currently using a little hand rolled
server that implements just enough of the servlet api to
allow the admin servlets to run. I'd like to use Catalina
instead.

 I started with o.a.c.startup.Embedded, and it works well
enough, but I'd like to slim it down. For example, I'm
perfectly content to hand-configure the StandardWrappers
if it means I can dump xalan and xerces. Yeah, I know,
the XML stuff is built into 1.4, that was just an example
of how size counts.

 It's not rocket science, and I don't forsee any problems
slogging my way through the code until I've got it
configured like I want it, but if somebody else has
already done the work that's even better.

 I've googled around, and searched through the list
archives, and found references to a copy of Tomcat being
embedded in Avalon, and of course JBoss and the J2EE
reference implementation, but that isn't  quite the
same sort of thing. I don't really want a full blown
servlet server, I just want enough of a framework to
allow my preconfigured and basically unchanging admin
servlets to run.

 If I'm missing something obvious, I'm not the only one:

  http://www.magelang.com/faq/viewquestion.jsp?EID=498260

 So, has somebody already set up a litle tiny embedded
version of Catalina? Any references are greatly
appreciated.

Christopher St. John cks@distributopia.com
DistribuTopia http://www.distributopia.com