Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by TheGrailer <ke...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/24 10:47:32 UTC

Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Hi,

Im pretty new to this but have 2 friends that help me out. Though one of my
friends tells me to use Apache2 infront of Tomcat and the other one tells me
it's unnecessary.

I'll try to explain my situation:
I've started a virtual Ubuntu 8.04 Longterm server and my goal is to have
atleast one serious site (made in Grails) and beeing a search engine (think
youtube). So it's gonna be pretty much dynamic content and less static. But
I will also start some sites just for fun that probobly won't have that much
visitors but beeing abit more static content.
Im not saying my primary site will get much visitors but I want to build the
environment as if it has.
Ps. I will probobly put a Varnish at the front sooner or later (for the
experience)

So what do you all think? Is the Apache2 infront of the Tomcat 6 a waste of
time or worth while?
I'd love to have as many inputs as possible!

Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: [OT] Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Pid [mailto:pid@pidster.com]
> Subject: [OT] Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone
>
> > Additionally, if you added a new host, you would need to edit the
> server.xml to add a reference to it. It would be much nicer if it
> worked like context config files. The file system currently being used
> for tomcat seems perfectly set up for such a thing.
>
> I don't believe that the config parser can cope with making dynamic
> changes to the server's structure.  It is possible to make fairly
> significant changes via JMX.

Additional <Host> elements do *not* need to be specified in server.xml - you can add and remove them on the fly with Tomcat's host-manager (not manager) webapp.

 - Chuck

[OT] Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.

Posted by Peter Crowther <pe...@melandra.com>.
2009/11/24 TheGrailer <ke...@gmail.com>:
> The most compellig argument from the "Apache2 and Tomcat 6"-friend was
> indeed the static content part.

http://tomcat.markmail.org/message/il33wqqjb2dok6xz might be
illuminating - along with the discussion around it on that thread.  I
suspect Chris will be making his own comments on this thread, as he
knows his benchmarking results better than anyone!

> But also confing like virtual hosts (hard in
> pure tomcat?)

Easy in pure Tomcat.  Outlined at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html
(assuming version 6.0.x).

> and modules.

Which ones might you want?  The commonest would be a mod_rewrite, for
which http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite should work just fine.

- Peter

Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Posted by TheGrailer <ke...@gmail.com>.

Peter Crowther wrote:

> 2009/11/24 TheGrailer <ke...@gmail.com>
>
>> Im pretty new to this but have 2 friends that help me out. Though one of
>> my
>> friends tells me to use Apache2 infront of Tomcat and the other one tells
>> me
>> it's unnecessary.
>>

> Finding out their reasoning - and the evidence each one has supporting
> their
> point of view - would be interesting.
>
> I'll try to explain my situation:
>> I've started a virtual Ubuntu 8.04 Longterm server and my goal is to have
>> atleast one serious site (made in Grails) and beeing a search engine
>> (think
>> youtube). So it's gonna be pretty much dynamic content and less static.
>> But
>> I will also start some sites just for fun that probobly won't have that
>> much
>> visitors but beeing abit more static content.
>> Im not saying my primary site will get much visitors but I want to build
>> the
>> environment as if it has.
>> Ps. I will probobly put a Varnish at the front sooner or later (for the
>> experience)
>>
>> So what do you all think? Is the Apache2 infront of the Tomcat 6 a waste
>> of
>> time or worth while?
>>
>> As always, it depends on your environment, wishes and skills.
>
> Tomcat has a reputation for being slow to serve static content.  For 5.5+,
> that reputation is not deserved - you'll saturate your network connection
> long before you run out of CPU.  So the "old" reason to put Apache httpd
> (hereafter just "httpd") in front of Tomcat no longer applies.
>
> If you add httpd, you also need to add a connection between httpd and
> Tomcat.  More moving parts, more to maintain, higher CPU, use, higher
> memory
> use and higher latency on all requests that go to Tomcat.
>
> If you add httpd and don't configure the connection carefully, it's quite
> easy to expose the source of your JSPs and your webapp configuration -
> which
> may expose passwords, for example.  So poor configuration of httpd+Tomcat
> can be a security risk.
>
> httpd can act as a very effective load-balancer for Tomcat if you don't
> want
> to use a hardware load-balancer.
>
> httpd has modules that are faster at serving non-Java dynamic content
> (PHP,
> perl etc) than Tomcat's CGI.
>
> httpd has mod_security, which may aid in site security if correctly
> configured (and can be a real PITA if not correctly configured).
>
> Pick the points from the above that apply to your site, and decide whether
> it's right for you.  There is no Right or Wrong answer.
>
> - Peter

Thanks for the reply (same goes for you, Pid Ster).
The most compellig argument from the "Apache2 and Tomcat 6"-friend was
indeed the static content part. But also confing like virtual hosts (hard in
pure tomcat?) and modules.
I probobly won't use Apache2 as a load balancer since if I even get that far
I'll use Varnish or maybe even a VM just for load balancing.

So out of your list, I would say pure Tomcat is what suits me the best.

Keep the input comming! Really interesting to read. (Im guessing not just
for me).

Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Posted by Peter Crowther <pe...@melandra.com>.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:56 AM, TheGrailer <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And my "Tomcat alone"-friend thought I should go Varnish if I was to load
> balance with 2 Tomcats or something like that, but that's a different story.
> Not Apache2 anyway.

So one of your friends suggests httpd for static content and virtual hosts, and
another of your friends suggests varnish as loadbalancer.

Maybe you should hang around with your friends drinking beer and
stuff, but ask real experts when it comes to deployment questions ;-)

regards
Leon

Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Posted by TheGrailer <ke...@gmail.com>.

Markus Schönhaber-10 wrote:

> TheGrailer:
>
>> So what do you all think? Is the Apache2 infront of the Tomcat 6 a waste
>> of
>> time or worth while?
>
> I agree with what Pid and Peter already said. Just to phrase it with my
> own words: I see two major reasons why you'd want to put httpd in front
> of Tomcat
> 1. To act as a load balancer for multiple Tomcats.
> 2. To serve dynamic content written in something that Tomcat isn't able
> to process as good as httpd (if at all), for example PHP.
>
> Judging from what you wrote, neither seems to apply to your case.
> Nevertheless it would be interesting to hear why your friend, who
> advocates the use of httpd, thinks this additional complexity is
> justified.
> In my experience, simply having some static content to serve, isn't a
> justification.
>
> --
> Regards
>   mks

To start with, thanks for your input!

I can almost certainately say I won't go other than Java/Groovy so PHP and
all that won't be needed.

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <to...@list-post.mks-mail.de>.
TheGrailer:

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 24/11/2009 09:47, TheGrailer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im pretty new to this but have 2 friends that help me out. Though one of my
> friends tells me to use Apache2 infront of Tomcat and the other one tells me
> it's unnecessary.

Single server?  Tomcat alone is just fine.

> I'll try to explain my situation:
> I've started a virtual Ubuntu 8.04 Longterm server and my goal is to have
> atleast one serious site (made in Grails) and beeing a search engine (think
> youtube). So it's gonna be pretty much dynamic content and less static. But
> I will also start some sites just for fun that probobly won't have that much
> visitors but beeing abit more static content.

You said "static", which I'd guess means that you've had the somewhat
out of date "Apache HTTPD is faster at serving static content" conversation.

> Im not saying my primary site will get much visitors but I want to build the
> environment as if it has.
> Ps. I will probobly put a Varnish at the front sooner or later (for the
> experience)
>
> So what do you all think? Is the Apache2 infront of the Tomcat 6 a waste of
> time or worth while?

Well, if you look at it from the point of view that HTTPD + Connector +
Tomcat is a longer codepath, then it ought to be less performant to use
both, no?

Tomcat comes with a library called APR, which is the the same code
library that Apache HTTPD uses.  Install that & Tomcat is as fast as its

> I'd love to have as many inputs as possible!

I'd hazard a(n educated) guess that the comments will be largely one
sided from this list.