Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Philip Ogren <ph...@oracle.com> on 2014/01/02 18:22:36 UTC

rdd.saveAsTextFile problem

I have a very simple Spark application that looks like the following:

var myRdd: RDD[Array[String]] = initMyRdd()
println(myRdd.first.mkString(", "))
println(myRdd.count)

myRdd.saveAsTextFile("hdfs://myserver:8020/mydir")
myRdd.saveAsTextFile("target/mydir/")

The println statements work as expected.  The first saveAsTextFile
statement also works as expected.  The second saveAsTextFile statement
does not (even if the first is commented out.)  I get the exception
pasted below.  If I inspect "target/mydir" I see that there is a
directory called
_temporary/0/_temporary/attempt_201401020953_0000_m_000000_1 which
contains an empty part-00000 file.  It's curious because this code
worked before with Spark 0.8.0 and now I am running on Spark 0.8.1. I
happen to be running this on Windows in "local" mode at the moment.
Perhaps I should try running it on my linux box.

Thanks,
Philip

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted:
Task 2.0:0 failed more than 0 times; aborting job
java.lang.NullPointerException
     at
org.apache.spark.scheduler.DAGScheduler$$anonfun$abortStage$1.apply(DAGScheduler.scala:827)
     at
org.apache.spark.scheduler.DAGScheduler$$anonfun$abortStage$1.apply(DAGScheduler.scala:825)
     at
scala.collection.mutable.ResizableArray$class.foreach(ResizableArray.scala:60)
     at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.foreach(ArrayBuffer.scala:47)
     at
org.apache.spark.scheduler.DAGScheduler.abortStage(DAGScheduler.scala:825)
     at
org.apache.spark.scheduler.DAGScheduler.processEvent(DAGScheduler.scala:440)
     at
org.apache.spark.scheduler.DAGScheduler.org$apache$spark$scheduler$DAGScheduler$$run(DAGScheduler.scala:502)
     at
org.apache.spark.scheduler.DAGScheduler$$anon$1.run(DAGScheduler.scala:157)

Re: rdd.saveAsTextFile problem

Posted by Philip Ogren <ph...@oracle.com>.
Not really.  In practice I write everything out to HDFS and that is
working fine.  But I write lots of unit tests and example scripts and it
is convenient to be able to test a Spark application (or sequence of
spark functions) in a very local way such that it doesn't depend on any
outside infrastructure (e.g. an HDFS server.) So, it is convenient to
write out a small amount of data locally and manually inspect the
results - esp. as I'm building up a unit or regression test.

So, ultimately writing results out to a local file isn't that important
to me.  However, I was just trying to run a simple example script that
worked before and is now not working.

Thanks,
Philip

Posted by Tathagata Das <ta...@gmail.com>.
Can you give us the more detailed exception + stack trace in the log? It
should be in the driver log. If not, please take a look at the executor
logs, through the web ui to find the stack trace.

TD

Posted by Andrew Ash <an...@andrewash.com>.
I'm guessing it's a documentation issue, but certainly something could have
broken.

- what version of Spark?  -- 0.8.1
- what mode are you running with? (local, standalone, mesos, YARN) -- local
on Windows
- are you using the shell or a application - shell?
- what language (scala / java / Python) - scala

Can you provide a deeper error stacktrace from the executor?  Look in the
webui (port 4040) and in the stdout/stderr files.

Also, give it a shot on the linux box to see if that works.

Cheers!
Andrew

Posted by Philip Ogren <ph...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Andrew Ash <an...@andrewash.com>.

Posted by Philip Ogren <ph...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Andrew Ash <an...@andrewash.com>.

Posted by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.

Posted by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.

Posted by Keerthi <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

Posted by dylanhogg <dy...@gmail.com>.
Try the workaround for Windows found here:
http://qnalist.com/questions/4994960/run-spark-unit-test-on-windows-7.

This fix the issue when calling rdd.saveAsTextFile(..) for me with Spark
v1.1.0 on windows 8.1 in local mode.

Summary of steps:

1) download compiled winutils.exe from
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/28a57efb-082b-424b-8d9e-731b1fe135de/please-read-if-experiencing-job-failures?forum=hdinsight

2) put this file into d:\winutil\bin

3) add in code: System.setProperty("hadoop.home.dir", "d:\\winutil\\")