Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Umesh Telang <Um...@bbc.co.uk> on 2014/01/29 18:02:10 UTC

checkpoint lifecycle

Hello,

Under a file channels checkpoint directory, I see the following files:
checkpoint
checkpoint.meta

I wanted to know whether the size of the checkpoint file should reach a steady state if the amount and rate of input to the file chain remains the same.

My understanding is that the checkpoint file is associate with the write ahead log. Is this something that continues to grow indefinitely?

Or is there some lifecycle management that cleans out very old entries from the write ahead log?

If not, is there some strategy that we should employ to manage the size of the checkpoint file (in our case, it's currently over 1GB after 2 days' operation).

Thanks for any advice on this.

Kind regards,
Umesh

----------------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk

---------------------

RE: checkpoint lifecycle

Posted by Umesh Telang <Um...@bbc.co.uk>.
Thanks very much, Brock for all your help.

________________________________
Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

RE: checkpoint lifecycle

Posted by Umesh Telang <Um...@bbc.co.uk>.
Ah, ok. So 32 bytes is required for each pointer to an event. We'll amend our heap size accordingly. We may also be able to reduce our FileChannel size. We hadn't understood the implications of the capacity value of the FileChannel we have been using.

Regarding the multiple data directories, I hadn't realised that that implied distinct disks. Just to confirm, you're saying that each data directory has to be on a distinct disk?

Is it that FileChannel can't utilise an entire disk from an IO perspective, regardless of how big the disk is?  Or is this size-dependent? i.e above a certain size, you need a second data directory? If the latter, could you let me know what that size is?

Re: checkpoint lifecycle

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

RE: checkpoint lifecycle

Posted by Umesh Telang <Um...@bbc.co.uk>.
Hi Brock,

Our heap size is 2GB.

Thanks for the advice on data directories. Could you please let me know the heuristic for that?   (e.g. 1 data directory per N-sized channel where N is...)

Thanks also for suggesting back up checkpoints - are these something that increases the integrity of Flume's execution in an automatic fashion, or does it aid in some form of manual recovery?

Re: FLUME-2155, I've scanned through it, and will read it in more detail. I'm not sure about the unit of measurement for some of the metrics (milliseconds?), but is there any guidance as to at which order of magnitude (10^4, 10^6 or 10^8 ?) the channel size causes the replay issue to become apparent?

Thank you,
Umesh

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
How large is your heap?