Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Darren Roberts <ro...@yahoo.com> on 2013/07/22 14:49:07 UTC

Code authorship

Hi

Just wondering what the form is when using code from elsewhere in the POI project when it comes to denoting authorship?

For example on my current task enhancing XSSFTextBox I have pulled in from the XSLF src a number of files defining enums, and some code from the equivalent functionality in XSLF, but made significant changes in the process.

As the originals were done by Yegor do I keep his @author tag (and maybe add my own where any changes have been made), or as I'm the one responsible for pulling all this into XSSF do I attribute it to just myself?

Thanks
Darren

Re: Code authorship

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Mon, 22 Jul 2013, Darren Roberts wrote:
> Just wondering what the form is when using code from elsewhere in the
> POI project when it comes to denoting authorship?

We're trying to remove the @author tags, to follow the current ASF best
practice. (There isn't just one person who "owns" the code, it's a
community effort)

However, if you're going to be making changes to the POI source code,
distributing those changes yourself in source form, but not contributing
them back, then be aware of clause 4b of the license:
    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#redistribution

(You basically need to make clear to people that you've made changes to
the source file and it's no longer a stock file, so they know to bug you
for support for your customised version not us!)

> For example on my current task enhancing XSSFTextBox I have pulled in
> from the XSLF src a number of files defining enums, and some code from
> the equivalent functionality in XSLF, but made significant changes in
> the process.

Patches are very much welcome :)

Nick

Re: Code authorship

Posted by Darren Roberts <ro...@yahoo.com>.
Dunno how I missed that one when reading that document - thanks for pointing it out!

Regards
Darren

RE: Code authorship

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.