Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@apache.org> on 2005/03/30 09:40:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Intermittent/spontaneous shutdowns

Hi,

First time I ever subscribed to this list, largely due to the stability of
httpd and never had anything strange happening to me. However, that just
changed.

The httpd keeps shutting down every couple of days and requires a manual
start.

When that happens, I get heaps of

[Wed Mar 30 06:25:40 2005] [warn] child process 31219 still did not exit,
sending a SIGTERM

And followed by a single;

[Wed Mar 30 06:25:44 2005] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

Anyone can shed some light on this?

TIA and sorry if this is a well-known issue.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent/spontaneous shutdowns

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 04:44:59PM +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 March 2005 16:01, Joe Orton wrote:
> > Do you used piped loggers?
>
> Sorry for my ignorance; I don't know what piped loggers are.

Then you're probably not (e.g. CustomLog "|/path/to/rotatelogs ...").

So I don't have much more of an idea about how to track this down, I'm
afraid.  Try disabling all modules which you're not using, at least.

Let me know if you *do* find the cause.

joe

Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent/spontaneous shutdowns

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 30 March 2005 16:01, Joe Orton wrote:
> Do you used piped loggers?

Sorry for my ignorance; I don't know what piped loggers are.

I have basically 3 virtual hosts;
 *  planet.dpml.net is a default virt host.
 *  scm.dpml.net is a subversion configured one.
 *  issues.dpml.net is a mod_jk to tomcat running Jira
    (also happened while still using mod_jk2)

There are a bunch of mods-enabled;
cgi.load   dav.load     dav_svn.load  php4.load   proxy_http.load  ssl.load
cgid.load  dav_fs.load  jk.load       proxy.load  rewrite.load
userdir.load

But basically most stuff out of the box, on a very-low traffic box.

Cheers
Niclas

P.s the sites-enabled contents;

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName planet.dpml.net
    ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

    DocumentRoot /var/http/planet

    <Directory />
        Options FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
    </Directory>
    <Directory /var/http/planet>
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        allow from all
    </Directory>

    ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/planet.error.log

    # alert, emerg.
    LogLevel warn
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/planet.access.log combined
    ServerSignature On

    Alias /icons/ "/usr/share/apache2/icons/"
    <Directory "/usr/share/apache2/icons">
        Options Indexes MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
    SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateKeyFile ssl/server.key
    SSLCertificateFile ssl/server.crt

    ServerName scm.dpml.net
    ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

    DocumentRoot /var/http/scm
    <Directory />
        Options FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
    </Directory>
    <Directory /var/http/scm>
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        allow from all
    </Directory>

    ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/scm.error.log

    # alert, emerg.
    LogLevel warn
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/scm.access.log combined
    ServerSignature On

    Alias /icons/ "/usr/share/apache2/icons/"
    <Directory "/usr/share/apache2/icons">
        Options Indexes MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
    <Location /repos>
        DAV svn
        SVNParentPath /var/scm/repos
        # our access control policy
        AuthzSVNAccessFile /var/scm/admin/svn-authz-access.conf

        # try anonymous access first, resort to real
        # authentication if necessary.
        Satisfy Any
        Require valid-user

        # how to authenticate a user
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Subversion repository"
        AuthUserFile /var/scm/admin/users.pwd
    </Location>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName issues.dpml.net
    ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
    DocumentRoot /var/jira/atlassian-jira-enterprise-3.1-standalone/atlassian-jira/

    ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/issues.error.log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/issues.access.log combined
    <Directory
"/var/jira/atlassian-jira-enterprise-3.1-standalone/atlassian-jira">
        Options Indexes
    </Directory>
    JkMount /* jira
    <Location "/WEB-INF">
        AllowOverride None
        deny from all
    </Location>
</VirtualHost>

Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent/spontaneous shutdowns

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 03:40:42PM +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First time I ever subscribed to this list, largely due to the stability of
> httpd and never had anything strange happening to me. However, that just
> changed.
>
> The httpd keeps shutting down every couple of days and requires a manual
> start.

We had a couple of similar reports of spontaneous shutdowns a few years
ago, but never tracked down the cause.  I haven't heard anybody report
this more recently.  I guessed the most likely cause was some module
calling kill() inappropriately, or possibly the "other-child"-tracking
code going awry.  Do you used piped loggers?

joe

Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent/spontaneous shutdowns

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 30 March 2005 15:40, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Anyone can shed some light on this?

Sorry, forgot to mention;

 Apache/2.0.53, default from Debian distro + Subversion
 Linux Debian (Sarge) with 2.6.8 kernel

Cheers
Niclas