Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Morgan Delagrange <mo...@apache.org> on 2001/05/09 00:33:32 UTC

Versioned releases

Hi all,

I'm starting to get geared up for versioned releases.  I set up a
directory at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-taglibs/releases/

and built a release candidate for DBTags.  You may want to review it and
see if the format  makes sense.  We should also consider whether or not
it's worthwhile to do source distributions like some other Jakarta
projects.

- Morgan

Re: Versioned releases

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <mo...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Morgan,
>
> Thanks again for taking the lead on this. :-)
>
> My personal preference would be for the releases to be a .zip file instead
> of a jar.  I think this would avoid confusion about the contents.

True, but I'd like to get away from having ZIP, TAR and TAR.GZ for every
release...too messy.  Everyone who uses Java has JAR.  :)  If we can just
do ZIP releases, then I'm +1.  If we have to continue providing three
different file formats like other projects, then I'd rather use JARs.

> Also, there should be a document somewhere, perhaps a
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-taglibs/releases/index.html
> that lists the released tag libraries and documents in general what
> they contain and how to use them.
>
> Then we could add a link on the main Jakarta-taglibs page which points
> to the release page and to each individual taglib page.

That's probably a good idea.

> Will you be adding a technical section to the HOWTO_RELEASE document
> about what files are needed, what they are for, how to update news,
> do a release, etc.?

Sure that sounds good.  I don't want to hog all the HOWTO fun though.  If
any other developers have an itch, then by all means scratch it!

> Once we have this process down, I am eager to get official releases
> done of the taglibs I am responsible for.

Amen to that.

> Oh, could the main taglibs page news section where you put the [taglib]
> be a link to the taglib itself.  That will make it easier for someone
> if the see an interesting news item to go directly to the relevant
> taglib.

Sure.  I'll probably tackle that.

> BTW, thanks for changing the background color of the news items on the
> main taglibs page.  Will you be doing the same for the individual taglib
> news section, like DbTags?

I made the change in the stylesheet, so it's all happening automagically
in the nightlies.

> Thanks,
>
> Glenn

Thanks for the feedback!