Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Siddharth Seth <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/11 09:44:13 UTC

Re: CHANGES.txt out of sync in the different branches

I went ahead and committed a couple of changes to trunk and branch-2 to fix
the MR CHANGES.txt mess.  Alexandro, I believe there's a couple of jiras
where you were waiting for CHANGES.txt fixes before merging to branch-2.
Not sure about past discussions, but can we re-visit removing CHANGES.txt
in favour of jira fix versions.

While we maintain this file, a couple of points to prevent this ...
- For changes that go into 0.23, the CHANGES.txt entry needs to be included
under the 2.x line as well since 2.x and 0.23 are on a different release
schedule.
- When merging into a branch, please update CHANGES.txt on the src branch
as well. trunk was out of sync on a lot of CHANGES which have gone into
2.0.5.
- Something going wrong with these files isn't always discovered
immediately, but adds up fast - so a little extra caution with changes,
merge-conflicts etc on these files...

There's jiras like MAPREDUCE-4790, for which the fix version on jira is
trunk-win, but the patch is already in trunk. Does fix version trunk-win
imply the patch is in trunk as well ?

Thanks
- Sid

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for taking care of this Sid.

Agree that using jira fix versions would be easier as a way to generate the
changes. It would require some proper handling by the committer. For
example, if something is committed to trunk(3.0.0) and branch-2(2.0.5) it
would have fixedVersion 2.0.5, if later it is backported to a soon to be
release 2.0.4, the fixVersion must be updated to 2.0.4. Another scenario is
when you have different release lines, i.e 1.x and 2.x (or 2.0.x and
2.1.x), then the fixVersion should contain each line version.

Still, IMO, much better than dealing with CHANGES.txt in different branches.

Thanks again

--
Alejandro

Re: CHANGES.txt out of sync in the different branches

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Alejandro