Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Hansson, Jonas (94270.)" <jh...@volvocars.com> on 2008/01/24 09:38:05 UTC

Plugin-support for new diff/merge-algorithms?

Hi,

I am a member of a standardization effort where we are defining a
software architecture and methodology for the automotive industry. One
of the results will be a Domain Specific Model (DSM) specification and
an exchange format based on XML. Also, there will be algorithms defined
for how to detect differences between models and how to implement a
merge.

Does Subversion support mechanisms for adding domain specific diff and
merge plugins?

Kind regards,
Jonas Hansson

Re: Plugin-support for new diff/merge-algorithms?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
 On Jan 25, 2008, at 01:25, Hansson, Jonas ((94270.)) wrote:

>> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 09:38 +0000, Hansson, Jonas (94270.) wrote:
>>
>>> I am a member of a standardization effort where we are defining a
>>> software architecture and methodology for the automotive
>>> industry. One
>>> of the results will be a Domain Specific Model (DSM)
>>> specification and
>>> an exchange format based on XML. Also, there will be algorithms
>>> defined for how to detect differences between models and how to
>>> implement a merge.
>>>
>>> Does Subversion support mechanisms for adding domain specific
>>> diff and
>>> merge plugins?
>>
>> svn diff supports the --diff-cmd option and svn merge supports the
>> --diff3-cmd option
>
> The --diff-cmd specifies external programs for showing differences. My
> question was more related to if it is possible to extend subversion to
> store differences differently. The concerned files are in XML format
> where line based diffs often are a poor solution.

Subversion internally handles binary files and text files
identically, so I don't think it's really using a line-based diff.
But whatever it is using, I don't think there's any plugin mechanism
for replacing it.

Re: Plugin-support for new diff/merge-algorithms?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 25, 2008 8:25 AM, Hansson, Jonas (94270.) <jh...@volvocars.com> wrote:
> The --diff-cmd specifies external programs for showing differences. My
> question was more related to if it is possible to extend subversion to
> store differences differently. The concerned files are in XML format
> where line based diffs often are a poor solution.

Subversion internally stores differences (on the server as well as
transmission over the network) using vdelta and xdelta binary
differences. When you use diff or merge, a completely orthogonal
algorithm kicks in which can only be applied to texty files, meaning
that Subversion will - heuristically - try to determine textiness of
files before it uses those algorithms.

Don't be affraid: a lot of thought has gone into Subversion (and still
goes into it); we're working hard to store your data as efficiently as
possible and we're still searching for better ways to do it. Just
install it and upgrade every now and then and you'll benefit from our
research. No need to do you own (unless you -ofcourse- want to
contribute some back to the community).

bye,

Erik.

RE: Plugin-support for new diff/merge-algorithms?

Posted by Luke Imhoff <lu...@cray.com>.