Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/06/08 23:14:31 UTC

[Lucene-hadoop Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by DougCutting

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by DougCutting:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/FAQ

The comment on the change is:
initial version of FAQ

New page:
= Hadoop FAQ =

1. What is Hadoop?

Hadoop is a distributed computing platform written in Java.  It incorporates features similar to those of the [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_File_System Google File System] and of [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MapReduce MapReduce].

2. How well does Hadoop scale?

Hadoop has been demonstrated on clusters of up to 600 nodes.  Sort performance is [http://www.mail-archive.com/hadoop-dev%40lucene.apache.org/msg01777.html good] and still improving.

3. To use Hadoop, do I have to write my application in Java?

No.  There are several ways to incorporate non-Java code.  HadoopStreaming permits any shell command to be used as a map or reduce function, and Hadoop is also developing [http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/hadoop/trunk/src/c%2B%2B/ C and C++ APIs].