Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Kam Kasravi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/14 19:39:16 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC3

Hi IPMC Community

The PPMC vote to release Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC3 has passed.
We would like to now submit this release candidate to the IPMC.

The PPMC vote thread is here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d72a820712f0a1816e2c5d66b7708ee81401d9cb91f36b9ea6230c09@%3Cdev.gearpump.apache.org%3E

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/gearpump/0.8.1-incubating/RC3/

The release hash
is:https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-gearpump.git;a=commit;h=e7fef511d9f25cf2cdedc3ea4eb90d71c1c74c19

Release artifacts are signed with the following
key:https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/gearpump/KEYS

The KEYS file is available
here:https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/gearpump/KEYS

For information about the contents of this release (including fixes
for prior failed release candidates) see:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-gearpump.git;a=blob;f=CHANGELOG.md;h=143222da2435a1cea5b2f265da6b69f9b9169f8e;hb=e7fef511d9f25cf2cdedc3ea4eb90d71c1c74c19

The vote will be open for 72 hours (Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 12:40 PST)

Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
including checking hashes, signatures, build from source, and test.  The
please vote:

[ ] +1 Release this package as gearpump-0.8.1
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 Do not release this package because because...

Thanks,
Kam

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC3

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Justin
Thanks for the detailed review! - especially in regards to the LICENSE file. We had originally included license references that were part of a binary release. I'll clean this up to remove these items and address the other issues you've noted. Your youtube video is really helpful with when licensing is required based on whether the component is bundled or just referenced. Thanks.
ThanksKam

    On Friday, July 15, 2016 4:27 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

 Hi,

-1 binding, missing DISCLAIMER and LICENSE and header issues

I checked:
- artefact names contain incubating
- hashes and signature good
- DISCLAIMER file is missing
- LICENSE contains things that are not bundled and missing things that are (see below). It also contains paths to files that do not exist.
- NOTICE is OK but contain extra unneeded information
- Some file have incorrect Apache headers e.g. [1]

From what I can tell only the following is bundled in the source release is:
anchor JS
bootstrap
jquery
modernizr
glyph icons font
pigments CSS
normalize.css (in bootstrap)
polypill (in moderniser)

The LICENSE file in the source release needs to reflect this. [2] Perhaps you included all dependancies or created a LICENSE for the convience binary file not the source file?? Note that also a short pointer to a license is preferred over the long form [4] License also includes licenses that are not category A which would not normally be allowed in a source release.

This file contains 3rd party code but it not clear how that is licensed. [3]

I made a video the other month that may help understand what’s needed with bootstrap. [5]

Thanks,
Justin

1. /services/dashboard/views/cluster/workers/add_worker.js
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle
3. ./experiments/akkastream/src/main/scala/akka/stream/ModuleGraph.scala
4. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
5. https://vimeo.com/171210141

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC3

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Carrying over my +1 from the PPMC vote.

Please someone have a look at the release artifacts. I try, but don't have
the encyclopedic knowledge of policy nor the eye for detail that some of
you other IPMCers do.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC3

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Good catch, I missed the DISCLAIMER in my review.

LICENSE should be improved too even if I don't think it's a blocker for
this release.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC3

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Thanks John.
We have already merged a PR that has a separate DISCLAIMER file.I agree - it's an easy thing to add at this time but we'll wait for the final tally.

    On Friday, July 15, 2016 3:43 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

 Hi Kam,

Two things..

1. I'm not asking for the disclaimer in the README.  You can choose to put
it wherever you see appropriate, a dedicated DISCLAIMER file may make
sense.  It shouldn't be too hard to re-roll a release with that fix (I
didn't see any other issues, but I can take a second closer look).

2. Incubator release votes are not veto based.  If you get enough +1's to
counter my -1 it won't block.  I would prefer to see a change like this in,
considering how easy it should be to make.

I do however want to make sure you understand why the disclaimer is needed.

John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi Kam,

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

--
Best regards,

  - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC3

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC3

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Regards