Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Steve Linabery <sl...@worldcycling.com> on 2004/08/11 19:21:34 UTC

james behavior with rdbms outage

Hi,

I'm using james 1.0 with jdbc-based spool/mailboxes/etc. with postgresql 7.4.2 as the RDBMS. Everything works fine.

As you may know, postgresql does not fully reclaim disk space for deleted tuples in a relation unless you execute a "vacuum full" command. As you might expect, this operation requires an exclusive lock on the entire table in question.

Tables like "spool" and "inbox" quickly become physically huge but very sparse. I want to schedule a cron job to periodically run "vacuum full" on the james database.

Will james cope gracefully with the jdbc exceptions if/when these tables are locked? (In particular, will delivery/spooling/processing be deferred--will I lose emails?)

If not, is it possible/advisable to suspend james' operation programmatically?

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Linabery, sysadmin/developer
World Cycling Productions

RE: debugging outgoing smtp transactions

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Is there a way to setup logging to see the outgoing smtp transaction
> when James delivers a message to another server?

Not without writing a custom socket wrapper and socket factory.  See the
existing socket factory for an example.

	--- Noel

debugging outgoing smtp transactions

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.
Is there a way to setup logging to see the outgoing smtp transaction
when James delivers a message to another server?  I can get the incoming
smtp, but not outgoing.

-J

RE: james behavior with rdbms outage

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> If not, is it possible/advisable to suspend james' operation
programmatically?

You could shut JAMES down, do the DB maintenance, and start James up.

Ideally, as we redo some of the internals related to the spooler, we will
handle some things more robustly.  Right now there are some cases were mail
can be lost should JAMES encounter OutOfMemory exceptions.

What happens is that JAMES might encounter and error, and so it sends the
message to the ERROR processor.  Once there, if it encounters an exception,
it will GHOST the message.  We probably need another approach.  The message
is already in the system, so it need not be lost.  We need some way, perhaps
a flag, to leave it where it is, but inactive.

	--- Noel