Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Adler György <ad...@sch.bme.hu> on 2011/12/05 04:21:12 UTC

What to do with .pom files?

Hi!

I'm totally new with Maven and I would like to manage .pom files with it. I've downloaded some (hopefully) eBooks which have .pom extensions. I would like to execute these files somehow to see their content or just convert these .pom files into a more "common" format.

Thank you for your answers!

Re: What to do with .pom files?

Posted by Ben Caradoc-Davies <Be...@csiro.au>.
On 06/12/11 09:36, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> Maven POM files are called pom.xml and do not end in ".pom".

I take that back: when deployed with artifacts, they do end in .pom!

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <Be...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer

Re: What to do with .pom files?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
>> They are in Maven POM (.pom) format and I would like to execute them to
>> read their content. They aren't too small files, the largest one is 36,5Mb
>> which is actually not too large since we're talking about an eBook with
>> 5-600 pages. I can't open it neither in browser nor in Wordpad/Notepad.

Try renaming the files to .zip and unzipping them, or to .pdf and
opening them, there's no way these are pom files unless there is an
eBook file format ending in .pom that Wikipedia doesn't know about...

> Where did you get the files? The provider may have pages describing the
> format and how to read them.

I bet they're pirated so likely he can't do that, or he would have
done so already.

Wayne

Re: What to do with .pom files?

Posted by Ben Caradoc-Davies <Be...@csiro.au>.
Please keep discussions on the list.

I think it highly unlikely that these are Maven POM files, which are not
an eBook format and do not usually exceed a few thousand bytes in size.

Maven POM files are called pom.xml and do not end in ".pom". I am not
aware of any eBook format with this extension.

Do you have a hex or binary editor that you can use to see the first
hundred bytes of the file? Many formats contain leading text or "magic
numbers" that identify the format.

Re: What to do with .pom files?

Posted by Ben Caradoc-Davies <Be...@csiro.au>.
On 05/12/11 11:21, "Adler György" wrote:
> I'm totally new with Maven and I would like to manage .pom files with it. I've downloaded some (hopefully) eBooks which have .pom extensions.

Maven POM files are not eBooks. They are configuration files for the
Maven software dependency management system for building Java software.

Re: What to do with .pom files?

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
If you're looking for some books you should look for the pre-built
books, not try building them yourself. What books are you looking for?

The pom file is the description of a Maven project. Very simplified,
you could compare it to Ant's build.xml. If you have the source of a
Maven project you should be able to build it, but unless you want to
continue develop the project (or check the actual source) you should
look for a pre-built artifact (the result of building the project).

/Anders