Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/22 16:15:06 UTC

Re: Difference between the distributions

I'm curious, do we plan to do beta and/or alpha releases? Maybe after
cutting the stabilisation branch it might be a good idea to cut a
beta? I know we had those discussions some time ago; nevertheless
Karaf-3 is PRETTY, VERY, VERY, VERY big in changes... so a beta might
be a good idea in this special case... don't you think?

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm curious, do we plan to do beta and/or alpha releases? Maybe after
> cutting the stabilisation branch it might be a good idea to cut a
> beta? I know we had those discussions some time ago; nevertheless
> Karaf-3 is PRETTY, VERY, VERY, VERY big in changes... so a beta might
> be a good idea in this special case... don't you think?

Yeah good idea. Maybe even cutting and release even milestone releases.
And then a period with beta / RC candidates.

Karaf being a server, it takes a long time for people to adapt, and
migrate to newer versions.
As well people build their own custom server software from Karaf.

So giving everyone amble time to test, feedback, and whatnot is a very
good idea.
To help build trust in Karaf as a safe "bet" for the future.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Difference between the distributions

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Andreas,

I think a beta could help catching attention.
On the other hand we might as well cut a 3.0.1 real fast if we see
additional bugs.

so I'm uncertain about it ...

let's see what the others think :)

regards, Achim

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I also think we should do a beta. A good time would be when the aries
release is out.
Ideally the beta should have no SNAPSHOT deps in it.

Christian