Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by pkc <pk...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/20 22:35:39 UTC

Wicket 6 Atmosphere - atmosphere version 1.0.4

What are the plans for the Atmosphere push support?  I have only been able to
get my application working (for the most part) with atmosphere 1.0.0.
Sometimes the push data gets lost and I have not been able to locate the
issue so I'm hoping a newer release addresses the issue.

Also,  when trying some of the Atmosphere caching options with the wicket
extension, I get some strange results where data gets pushed to all browser
sessions that accept messages of that type even if pushed data was only
meant for a specific user.

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Wicket 6 Atmosphere - atmosphere version 1.0.4

Posted by pkc <pk...@gmail.com>.
I'm not confident the atmosphere wicket extension can handle caching and
other necessary options for a real world app.  It works great for simple
demo's but we are having issues with pages that have lots of self updating
components and occasional VPN issues.  I'm looking for a road map for wicket
support of a push API since the 0.5 atmosphere-wicket and atmosphere version
1.0.0 are not robust enough for our needs.  Unless my understanding of the
state of the wicket atmosphere extension is way off, it looks like I'm going
to abandon the extension and fallback to a polling solution that works
reliably.   Also other disappointing limitations like atmosphere not being
able to handle web.xml filter-mapping dispatcher options made the transition
less than profitable.

Re: Wicket 6 Atmosphere - atmosphere version 1.0.4

Posted by Mats <ma...@delaval.com>.
Thanks! It's exactly like I already have set it up... So, then it's not the
configuration that is wrong. I'm out of ideas for now.

Re: Wicket 6 Atmosphere - atmosphere version 1.0.4

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I can. :-) Here are the relevant parts of my web.xml:

    <servlet>
        <description>MeteorServlet</description>
        <servlet-name>MeteorServlet</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>org.atmosphere.cpr.AtmosphereServlet</servlet-class>
          <init-param>
            <param-name>applicationClassName</param-name>

<param-value>org.alienlabs.hatchetharry.HatchetHarryApplication</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>org.atmosphere.useWebSocket</param-name>
            <param-value>true</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>
            <param-name>org.atmosphere.useNative</param-name>
            <param-value>true</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>

<param-name>org.atmosphere.cpr.CometSupport.maxInactiveActivity</param-name>
            <param-value>30000</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>

<param-name>org.atmosphere.websocket.WebSocketProtocol</param-name>

<param-value>org.atmosphere.websocket.protocol.EchoProtocol</param-value>
        </init-param>
      <init-param>
            <param-name>filterMappingUrlPattern</param-name>
            <param-value>/*</param-value>
      </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>configuration</param-name>
            <param-value>development</param-value>
        </init-param>
      <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>MeteorServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

And now, for my META-INF/atmosphere.xml:

<atmosphere-handlers>
    <atmosphere-handler context-root="/*"
     class-name="org.atmosphere.handler.ReflectorServletProcessor">
        <property name="filterClassName"
         value="org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter"/>
    </atmosphere-handler>
</atmosphere-handlers>

Using these, you should be fine. Ask for more info as needed. But don't
forget to use the HttpNioConnector if you use Tomcat.

As a side-note, I must warn you that it's no secret that wicket-atmosphere
is experimental code: Atmosphere is stable and efficient now, but
wicket-atmosphere code itself is young and not as mature as its father. So
if you find rough-edges, please feel free to share your code. On the other
hand, here are for me the main advantage of these two framework, which make
me feel they suit my need:

- Atmosphere on one hand abstracts you from the capabilities of the client
and the server: if WebSockets are available on both sides, you can use them
and, with the same code, fallback to Comet if they miss

- wicket-atmosphere on the other hand gives you an AjaxRequestTarget from
which you can add whatever you like to the page: components, scripts,
header contributions... If you use only Atmosphere you must find a way to
provide the AjaxRequestTarget in order to have a server push. Before using
wicket-atmosphere I found a way to have it, but it was far less efficient
than what this project provides.

But honestly if you must process lots of events per second and / or do
real-time, I'm not sure that Atmosphere is the way to go: it's done for a
small throughput, not for massively real-time applications. If you need
that, I don't know where to look!

Another advantage of Atmosphere is that J-F Arcand, its founder, is a part
of the Java Community Process which is standardizing the WebSockets in
Java. So when the standard is ready, you can be sure that we'll be able to
include it with the minimal amount of changes in our code. Nice, isn't it?

Regards,

Pierre Goupil

--
Le bonheur n'est pas une destination, mais une façon de voyager.

Papa d'une petite Lou-Ann depuis le 30 juin.

Re: Wicket 6 Atmosphere - atmosphere version 1.0.4

Posted by Mats <ma...@delaval.com>.
Can you share your web.xml and atmosphere.xml files? I can't get my simple
app in netbeans working. It starts up the atmosphere framework but seems
never to load my app...

Re: Wicket 6 Atmosphere - atmosphere version 1.0.4

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.
Good evening,

This topic should be of interest to you:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/atmosphere-framework/pb8lZC3pMtY/QjZ0D4EJVDYJ

Regards,

Pierre