Posted to dev@polygene.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2015/07/31 05:09:45 UTC

Request feedback of Press Release

Sally,
We are now in the final stages (vote has passed, and a relatively simple
push code into right position remains) of our first release at ASF.

Below is my proposed press release statement, and we would value any
professional feedback on it, as well as the "point of no return" time for
your suggested press release time, if you understand what you mean. "When
do we have to be sure everything is in place, and if not we can abort your
'push button' for it to go out?"

Also, I didn't add the standard footer and other embellishments, which I
see is always present. I'll let you do that, to ensure the right version is
used.

-o-o-o-o-

Apache Software Foundation announces Apache Zest 2.1

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
stewards, and incubators of more than 170 Open Source projects and
initiatives, today announced the release of Apache Zest Java Edition 2.1,
the Composite Oriented Programming platform leveraging Java.

"Apache Zest arrived to the Apache Software Foundation four months ago, and
we are incredibly satisfied with the progress on both the codebase as well
as the transition from our previous Qi4j identity", said Niclas Hedhman,
the V.P of Apache Zest.

>From Apache Zest's home page we can read; Composite Oriented Programming
allows developers to work with 'fragments', smaller than classes, and
'compose' fragments into larger 'composites' which acts like the regular
objects. Apache Zest also tackles the enforcement of application
composition, i.e. composites are declared in modules, modules are contained
in layers and access between layers are controlled/enforced.

Niclas continues; "Apache Zest is a completely new way of writing software.
Object orientation isn't the appropriate abstraction, as objects in real
application get too bloated and inter-dependent. By working with fragments,
it is possible to break the objects down the respective roles that objects
typically have, and mix those roles across different types of objects."

Apache Zest integrates aspect oriented programming, persistence,
indexing/query, architecture enforcement and dependency injection.

"This 2.1 release is a important stepping stone towards the future.", says
Paul Merlin, the Release Manager of Apache Zest. "Compatibility with Qi4j
2.0 API has been maintained, but all documentation and other references are
fully converted to Apache Zest, and in Zest 3.0 the transformation will be
completed."

"Apache Zest challenges us Java developers to think differently, but
enables increased productivity and fewer bugs.", says Jiri Jetmar, a
Project Management Committee member and long-time user of Zest. "We find
that nearly all boiler-plate code, often found in JPA applications are
completely eradicated, without mapping configuration and other details that
just slows you down."

Niclas concludes; "Apache Zest has the slogan 'New Energy for Java -
Classes are Dead, Long Live Interfaces", and that truly capture what Apache
Zest is really about. Designing software efficiently. We are now looking
forward to Zest 3.0, with many new interesting features, such Messaging
integration, Event Sourcing, Timeseries, Geospatial Support and much more.
All with Java 8 goodness."

Apache Zest is available both at https://zest.apache.org/download, as well
as Maven Central under the groupId of "org.qi4j"

For an in-depth presentation of Apache Zest, please come to ApacheCon:Core
in Budapest. Apache Zest is presented on the 2 October 2015, and most of
the core development team will be available for questions, discussions,
introductions and more, before and after the presentation.

-o-o-o-o-

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer