Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/01 17:27:41 UTC

Re: Using converters in non-JSF related code.

There's not much in a converter and there shouldn't be any reason why
you couldn't do this.
However, since you're having to pass in a FacesContext and a
UIComponent, I think you'd have to reimplement a lot of unnecesary
support classes.

I'm not sure I'd stick it in a static utility method, but maybe that
makes sense in your use cases.

I'd probably go with a presentation-layer-independent converter class.
 Then subclass it to create the JSF converter.

When I look at my own JSF converters, this is a trivial refactoring.
I've already got the non-JSF conversions being handled in separate
methods which are called by the getAs methods.