Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hugh Williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com> on 2005/06/28 17:51:44 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: converting to SSL

Boyle Owen wrote:
> [...]

To be clear:  I am running the port 80 instance from Apache 1.3.33 and
the secure 443 traffic from Apache 2.0.54, so they are not virtual hosts
under the same executable.  In fact, the Apache 2 has its own IP address
that the Apache 1 server doesn't even acknowledge.

> I'm a little puzzled as to why you might want to do this...  To be
> clear:  SSL encrypts the pipe betwee the client and the server - it
> doesn't make the server more or less secure.  Its usual application is
> to protect confidential information while it is in transit over the
> public internet.  For example, when a client uploads the contents of a
> form submission or when the server delivers personal information to the
> client.  There's not much point SSLising a public website...

I run this on our intranet; our (potentially overly paranoid) security
department has (strongly) recommended (via an audit report even!)  that
any and all transmission of passwords of any kind be encrypted, thus I
need to have at least some portions of my web server using SSL (and I
have lots of content/script owners whose applications are unfamiliar to
me, so it's hard to know exactly which pieces to repoint).

I combined this with my desire to convert to Apache 2.x, so set up an
independent Apache 2 instance rather than turning SSL on in the 1.3.x
instance.

My customers (and manager) don't like downtime or having to change all
their bookmarks and links (awww...), so my long-term goal is to make
everything SSL, and eventually knife-edge swap the existing and new host
names so everyone 'transparently' starts using SSL - the old server
would redirect all requests to the https equivalent.  This is laziness
on my part and assumes that the hardware can handle the increased load
without performance degradation (or at least not so much that customers
start to complain anyway).

I am sure that there are better ways to accomplish all this, but this is
what I came up with for now.  I have not done any serious advertising of
the SSL server yet, so I may decide to try something different.

Thanks for any input,

hugh

--
 Hugh Williams                  "There are two things to aim for in life;
 hugh_williams@agilent.com       first, to get what you want; and after that,