Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/11 21:55:55 UTC

Re: Recommendation with a dataset with no/same preference

Binary preferences are fine.

In fact, I generally recommend that all ratings and related information be
distilled down to a single binary indicator such as you already have.

The fact that you have so few items will be both your advantage and
disadvantage.  It will help you avoid problems with sparsity and lack of
overlap between users, but it will also make your life harder because theere
aren't so many items to recommend.  This will be exacerbated by your
customers' tendency to exhaustively research items before purchase ... it is
likely that they will know about most related items already.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Good luck.

Let us know how it turns out.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.