Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Madushanka Fonseka <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/22 21:58:57 UTC

Innovating Apache Derby for Intelligent Querying

Hi,

I have studied the Implementations/Machinery in Compile, Execute, Store
packages and been able to catch up with the call hierarchy and process
 using debug.properties.

I also have worked out the bnf grammar file and I have developed my own one
to support intelligent querying.

I am little dark on using reflection in *Activation *class which plays the
key role in data fetching.

I have fully understanding on Paging and B+ tree stuff. But I am confused
with how *GenericLanguageConnectionContext * handles transactions with raw
package.

I would be please with some expert's answers.

Thank you...!!

Madushanka Fonseka
University of Moratuwa (B. Eng), M,Sc in CS (reading)

Re: Innovating Apache Derby for Intelligent Querying

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Hi Madushanka,

Glad to hear that you're digging into the code. We can probably help you
dig deeper if you can give us more information about what's blocking
your progress. More comments inline...

On 7/22/13 12:58 PM, Madushanka Fonseka wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have studied the Implementations/Machinery in Compile, Execute,
> Store packages and been able to catch up with the call hierarchy and
> process  using debug.properties.
>
> I also have worked out the bnf grammar file and I have developed my
> own one to support intelligent querying.
Let us know if there's anything you want to contribute to Derby in this
area.

> I am little dark on using reflection in *Activation *class which plays
> the key role in data fetching.
For each query, Derby compiles a generated class which extends
BaseActivation. As you noted, the actual peeking and poking of data in
rows happens inside the generated byte code. For help on looking inside
the generated code, see http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DumpClassFile

> I have fully understanding on Paging and B+ tree stuff. But I am
> confused with how *GenericLanguageConnectionContext * handles
> transactions with raw package.
Can you give us more detail about what's confusing?

Thanks,
-Rick