Posted to users@camel.apache.org by gilboy <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/12 00:01:39 UTC

MEP Query

Hi

Assume I have the following route:

*from(endpoint1).to(endpoint2).to(endpoint3).to(endpoint4)
*
What dictates the MEP on the exchange. Is it the consumer for endpoint1
since it creates the exchange?

Or can the MEP change throughout the route, e.g. could the producer for
endpoint3 change the MEP?

Thanks
Joe

Re: MEP Query

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM, gilboy <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Sorry - 1 other question on this. If my route looks like:
>
> *from(endpoint1).to(endpoint2).to(endpoint3).to(endpoint4) *
>
> Assume the consumer for endpoint1 sets the MEP to InOut. If endpoint4 is a
> file endpoint what gets returned to the producer, i.e. the file endpoint
> only supports InOnly. Would it be the response from endpoint3?

Yes the above route is using the pipes and filters eip mode by default.
So output from previous is input to next.

http://camel.apache.org/pipes-and-filters.html

The pipeline is the default mode so that is why you can omit it.

> Thanks
> Joe

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: MEP Query

Re: MEP Query

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM, gilboy <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Assume I have the following route:
>
> *from(endpoint1).to(endpoint2).to(endpoint3).to(endpoint4)
> *
> What dictates the MEP on the exchange. Is it the consumer for endpoint1
> since it creates the exchange?

Yes its the consumer which initially create the exchange and sets its MEP

> Or can the MEP change throughout the route, e.g. could the producer for
> endpoint3 change the MEP?

Yes the MEP can be changed at any point.
Though there is no producer which will change it.

Instead there is an EIP for that where you can change it during routing
http://camel.apache.org/request-reply.html

Notice there is a difference between using <setExchangePattern> and
<to ... pattern="xxx"/>

The former changes the MEP on the Exchange from this point forward.
The latter sets the MEP temporary when sending the exchange to the
given endpoint,
and restores the MEP afterwards. This is also documented in the
javadoc of the DSL.

> Thanks
> Joe

Claus Ibsen