Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Axel <si...@yahoo.de> on 2006/02/20 12:24:52 UTC

Tomcat and J1.5

Hi all,

I have a simple question:
When running Tomcat 5.x, do I need Apache http server, or is it included in
Tomcat? I read threads on both versions and would like to know what the deal
is?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
  Axel

Re: Tomcat and J1.5

Posted by Tommaso <to...@fwctc.com>.
Santiago Gala <sgala <at> apache.org> writes:

> El lun, 20-02-2006 a las 11:24 +0000, Axel escribió:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a simple question:
> > When running Tomcat 5.x, do I need Apache http server, or is it included
in
> > Tomcat? I read threads on both versions and would like to know what the
deal
> > is?

Hi all,

thanks for answering.
So if I got it right, there should be no difference between a development
server running only tomcat and a live server running apache and tomcat?

Cheers,
  Axel

Re: Tomcat and J1.5

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
El lun, 20-02-2006 a las 11:24 +0000, Axel escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a simple question:
> When running Tomcat 5.x, do I need Apache http server, or is it included in
> Tomcat? I read threads on both versions and would like to know what the deal
> is?

Tomcat has a HTTP connector, so it can be used as a web server. But most
people uses to either use mod_jk (or mod_proxy_ajp in Apache 2.2) to
have a Apache HTTP web server forward connections to one or more tomcat
instances.

mod_proxy in the Apache HTTPD web server can be used to as a reverse
proxy. It all depends on your scalability, stability, security, etc.
requirements.

> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>   Axel

VP and Chair, Apache Portals (http://portals.apache.org)
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Tomcat and J1.5

Posted by Axel <si...@yahoo.de>.
> Hi Axel,
>
> In a development environment you only need tomcat, but as you go into
> production testing you will want to run behind an apache server for
> performance reasons. Basically you don't want to waste java threads on
[...]
> Phil

Hi Phil,

thank you for the excellent answer.
I was wondering, what the difference is. Now I know.

Cheers,
  Axel

Re: Tomcat and J1.5

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com>.
Just to add to this:

IMO, running with apache in front will also be more secure.  So long as you
keep apache patched up, then you need only worry about http traffic going
through apache.

Philip is correct about the static resources.  However, this benefit will
not help too much as far as jetspeed is concerned since these static
resources (css, images, etc) must be served by jetspeed (hence tomcat)
because of the profiling.

Also, you may need to forward additional patterns to tomcat besides the ones
mentioned by Phil:

/portal  - you need this one because when you log out, this is where you are
sent.
/portal/* - to handle all requests directed at the portal.
/j_security_check - for authentication

I also found (with M4) that I had to forward patterns for some of the
management and demo apps such as /pam/* and /jsf-demo/* but I'm not sure if
that is stil the case.

aaron

Re: Tomcat and J1.5

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Axel,

In a development environment you only need tomcat, but as you go into
production testing you will want to run behind an apache server for
performance reasons. Basically you don't want to waste java threads on
serving images, javascript files, css documents, and anything else
that can be handled statically. Use the mod_jk module for apache. You
will need to tell apache to forward anything *.psml and /portal/* to
tomcat. The basic mod_jk configuration is the binary module and a
config file called workers.properties. Google tomcat mod_jk howto and
check the tomcat docs.

Phil

On 2/20/06, Axel <si...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a simple question:
> When running Tomcat 5.x, do I need Apache http server, or is it included in
> Tomcat? I read threads on both versions and would like to know what the deal
> is?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>   Axel