Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by aabfattah <ah...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/20 12:53:01 UTC

Arabic characters not appearing correctly from .properties file

Hello ,
I have written many .properties pages to show error messages in Arabic and
saved them in UTF-8 format and they display like that :
يجب ادخال اسم الدخول
*Although I wrote all HTML in Arabic and it displays correctly
*
I am using Eclipse Helios and I set workspace encoding to UTF-8

Re: Arabic characters not appearing correctly from .properties file

Posted by aabfattah <ah...@gmail.com>.
I am not using tomcat , I am using jetty .
I guess the problem is in properties files encoding.

On 20 September 2011 13:05, Andrea Del Bene-2 [via Apache Wicket] <
ml-node+s1842946n3826434h25@n4.nabble.com> wrote:

> ...or try these instructions
>

> http://davidbits.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-change-tomcat-default-character.html
>
> > Hello ,
> > I have written many .properties pages to show error messages in Arabic
> and
> > saved them in UTF-8 format and they display like that :
> > يجب ادخال اسم الدخول
> > *Although I wrote all HTML in Arabic and it displays correctly
> > *
> > I am using Eclipse Helios and I set workspace encoding to UTF-8
> >
> > --

Ahmed Abdelfattah

Re: Arabic characters not appearing correctly from .properties file

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <ad...@ciseonweb.it>.
...or try these instructions

Posted by aabfattah <ah...@gmail.com>.
I am using
jdk1.6.0_23

On 20 September 2011 13:19, Martijn Dashorst [via Apache Wicket] <
ml-node+s1842946n3826458h69@n4.nabble.com> wrote:

> This also only works on Java 6 and newer (UTF-8 support for properties
> files is a java 6 feature).
>
> Martijn
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM, aabfattah
> <[hidden email] <http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=3826458&i=0>>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello ,
> > I have written many .properties pages to show error messages in Arabic
> and
> > saved them in UTF-8 format and they display like that :
> > يجب ادخال اسم الدخول
> > *Although I wrote all HTML in Arabic and it displays correctly
> > *
> > I am using Eclipse Helios and I set workspace encoding to UTF-8
> >
> > --

Ahmed Abdelfattah

Re: Arabic characters not appearing correctly from .properties file

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Better use .properties.xml format.
The XML properties files are much more safe than plain .properties.

See http://java.sun.com/dtd/properties.dtd and
java.util.Properties.loadFromXML(InputStream)

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

Re: Arabic characters not appearing correctly from .properties file

Posted by aabfattah <ah...@gmail.com>.
The problem maybe in

--
Ahmed Abdelfattah

Re: Arabic characters not appearing correctly from .properties file

Posted by aabfattah <ah...@gmail.com>.

--
Ahmed Abdelfattah

Re: Arabic characters not appearing correctly from .properties file

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <ad...@ciseonweb.it>.
Hi,

try starting your web server with these parameters:

-Djavax.servlet.request.encoding=UTF-8 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.
Am 20.09.2011 14:31, schrieb Martin Grigorov:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Christian Huber<hu...@butterbrot.org>  wrote:
>> Just a short addition, the resource bundle editor plugin for eclipse is
>> great for handling .properties files with UTF-8 characters. The files are
>> stored with ISO encoding and UTF-8 characters are escaped correctly while
>> you can use the unescaped in the editor.
> This is an option but not a good one. In my experience the developers
> support only the English version of the bundle and the people who
> translate to the other languages are not Eclipse (or any other IDE)
> users.
> The XML is the most convenient, I think.
In such situations you are right, an eclipse plugin is not suitable if
resources should be created by non-developers. But in my experience that
means such resources are created by members of the business departement
and most xml files that we receive from those have issues like binary
garbage in prolog (apart from BOM) or invalid use of xml entities etc.
In such a scenario I would recommend the use a proper CMS if possible.
But I guess that is another topic ;-)

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Huber <hu...@butterbrot.org>.

Posted by aabfattah <ah...@gmail.com>.
Well , the xml file didn't load and it loaded the default .properties files
from wicket
But the first trick worked :)

On 20 September 2011 13:41, Martin A [via Apache Wicket] <
ml-node+s1842946n3826499h40@n4.nabble.com> wrote:

> Hi, Ahmed,
>
> As the Java specification defines, the .properties file contains only
> characters in ISO-8859-1, also known as Latin-1. Therefore you cannot enter
>
> arabic characters in a properties file.
>
> You have two options here:
>
>    1. Unicode escape your arabic characters, using converters, like this
> one
>    here > http://www.rishida.net/tools/conversion/ (what works for you
>    appears under JavaScript escapes) or
>    2. Use an xml file for language properties.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM, aabfattah <
> [hidden email] <http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=3826499&i=0>>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello ,
> > I have written many .properties pages to show error messages in Arabic
> and
> > saved them in UTF-8 format and they display like that :
> > يجب ادخال اسم الدخول
> > *Although I wrote all HTML in Arabic and it displays correctly
> > *
> > I am using Eclipse Helios and I set workspace encoding to UTF-8
> >
> > --

Ahmed Abdelfattah

Re: Arabic characters not appearing correctly from .properties file

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <ad...@ciseonweb.it>.
I had experience with a site which should have been used by both Chinese
and English users. IMHO in this scenario the best solution is to have
the entire stack setted to utf-8,  which includes properties file (not
XML), web server and database (extra ISO chars can be written to db).
If you know a better approach or pattern please let me know.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Martijn Dashorst
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Martin A <wm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, Ahmed,
>>
>> As the Java specification defines, the .properties file contains only
>> characters in ISO-8859-1, also known as Latin-1. Therefore you cannot enter
>> arabic characters in a properties file.
>
> Wrong: with Java 6 you can load properties files written in UTF-8 (or
> any encoding for that matter):
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/863838/problem-with-java-properties-utf8-encoding-in-eclipse/3040771#3040771

This is what our
org.apache.wicket.resource.UtfPropertiesFilePropertiesLoader does
actually.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin A <wm...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Ahmed,