Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Liam Morley <lm...@gdc.wpi.edu> on 2002/06/19 08:59:01 UTC

to upgrade: uninstall previous, or install over?

as for me, I'm running Tomcat/4.0.4-b3 on Windows XP Pro.

I'm wondering if people installing Tomcat have traditionally uninstalled
their old version, or have they installed new versions without
uninstalling, overwriting the current install?

Thanks.
Liam Morley

Re: to upgrade: uninstall previous, or install over?

Posted by Joseph Molnar <jo...@hotmail.com>.
While I cannot help you much with Tomcat on XP. It can be fairly trivial to
'uninstall' and then 'install' the new one, at least on Unix. In part it
depends on where you have stored configs, your web apps, etc.

A few things to consider:

Always use a different directory than Tomcats 'webapps' directory. Keep it
in a separate location (use $CATALINA_BASE to your advantage). This way you
can 'effectively' just wipe out the old install and put the new one in
place.

On Unix what I tend to do with apps (in general) is install them in a
directory (native to them, call it tomcat-4.04, etc), but then create a
symlink called 'latest' and point it to the latest install.  Then all
scripts/environ variables that need to refer to the installation use the
'latest' link. This way you can easily switch over to the new version, if it
doesn't work, switch back, all by changing a symlink.  Works great!

Joe Molnar
http://www.codesta.com/