Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@Sourcery.Org> on 2004/09/16 18:58:20 UTC

Issue with Network Server port number

Re: Issue with Network Server port number

Posted by Jan Hlavatý <hl...@code.cz>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> database server listening on port 1527".  Can't seem to find it now but
> the other day I saw some Oracle document that said something like "Use
> an Oracle registered port such as 1527."

A quick look at the IANA assigned ports registry show that port 1527 is really assigned to oracle:

tlisrv          1527/tcp    oracle
tlisrv          1527/udp    oracle

But that can't stop anyone from using that port number for something else,
it is not legally binding or something ;-)

Jan

Re: Issue with Network Server port number

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@Sourcery.Org>.

Re: Issue with Network Server port number

Posted by Edward Rayl <er...@bellsouth.net>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

>>this port anymore? Anyone on the list from Oracle or have Oracle
>>contacts? Maybe Oracle would re-assign the port to ASF for Derby?
>>
>>Dan.
>>

>In a quick search,  I did tend to see it in configuration examples e.g.
>http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/discoverer/pdf/4i_generic_connectivity.pdf
>and there seem to be a lot of oracle forum questions like "I have a
>database server listening on port 1527".  Can't seem to find it now but
>the other day I saw some Oracle document that said something like "Use
>an Oracle registered port such as 1527."
>
>It would be nice if they would give it up, but I think probably not.

I worked for Oracle for 7 years.  Port 1521 is the only one you should
be really concerned about.  Port 1526 is considered the secondary backup
port for the listener.  I really believe the reference to port 1527 in
the document above is a typographical error, and should have been 1521.
I have never once hear of 1527 being used by Oracle or any of its customers.

Your use of port 1527 should be a non-issue to Oracle users.

Ed

Re: Issue with Network Server port number

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@Sourcery.Org>.

Re: Issue with Network Server port number

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.