Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Martin Sponholtz <ma...@comiit.com> on 2014/12/18 11:35:19 UTC

Json encoding and decoding when using Avro in .NET

Hi,

We have just started working with Avro serialization. We're using
RabbitMQ as message broker in the project and would like to use Avro to
serialize and deserialize messages.

One of the reasons we choose to use Avro is it's support of both binary
and json serialization. We're however developing our project in .NET and
it would seem that the JsonEncoder and JsonDecoder have not been
implemented for this language.

Is anyone currently looking into developing this feature for the .NET
language implementation?

If not we are considering extending the library with this functionality
by effectively translating the java code.

Regards,

Martin Sponholtz

Re: Json encoding and decoding when using Avro in .NET

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.
On 12/18/2014 09:28 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Martin,
>
> I don't know of anyone implementing a Avro JSON encoding in C#.  This
> would be a great addition.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:35 AM, Martin Sponholtz <ma...@comiit.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> We have just started working with Avro serialization. We're using
>> RabbitMQ as message broker in the project and would like to use Avro to
>> serialize and deserialize messages.
>>
>> One of the reasons we choose to use Avro is it's support of both binary
>> and json serialization. We're however developing our project in .NET and
>> it would seem that the JsonEncoder and JsonDecoder have not been
>> implemented for this language.
>>
>> Is anyone currently looking into developing this feature for the .NET
>> language implementation?
>>
>> If not we are considering extending the library with this functionality
>> by effectively translating the java code.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Martin Sponholtz

It looks like Microsoft has released an Avro implementation for .NET and C#:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/hdinsight-dotnet-avro-serialization/

Better, it looks like it's part of the Apache 2.0 licensed project for
Hadoop on Azure.

   https://hadoopsdk.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Avro%20Library
   https://hadoopsdk.codeplex.com/license

rb

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: Json encoding and decoding when using Avro in .NET

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Martin,