Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/20 11:27:19 UTC

Re: [exec][email] Java 7 to 8

Some customers might need to use Java 7, but what about the customers
who want to use it on Java 17 which will be in rampdown in 5 months
and released in 6 months?
Also from memory from conferences ~ 2018/2019 I thought Java 17 was
planning on removing the Classpath so everything needed to be Modules
as well as raising the support min Java version to 8 or maybe even 11.

Also I understand that some customers might still be running Java 6 or
7 or 8, but would they be actively upgrading to newer versions and if
they have not found any bugs in the current version in the past ~10
years will they find any new ones in next 16 months...

Re: [EXTERNAL] [exec][email] Java 7 to 8

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Oracle changed the license past Java8. Oracle Java is not free anymore. OpenJDK is though. So for anything later people have to move to AdoptOpenJDK. And company executives seem to be not sure about that move yet. Also the half year cadence leads to way less testing on a specific Java Version. Even if Java11 is LTS it does not see big adoption because it's only 'supported' by Oracle (main marketing) for half a year. Also while most of their Java Module changes in Java9..16 is nice for their internal decoupling it is often a major pita for downstream projects.

My personal guess is that Java17 (which is the next LTS) will see some adoption. With anything in between pretty much getting skipped, except where it really makes sense. e.g. Java Native Memory Access support for Apache Lucene, etc.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [exec][email] Java 7 to 8

Posted by "Strauss, Randy (ARC-AF)[KBR Wyle Services, LLC]" <ra...@nasa.gov.INVALID>.

Re: [exec][email] Java 7 to 8

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the explainer Ralph :-)

Gary

Re: [exec][email] Java 7 to 8

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: [exec][email] Java 7 to 8

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

I probably missed most of the fun here (overworked) but IMHO it makes sense to update both projects to JDK 8

A related question - someone volunteering as release manager? Having said that I can lend a hand for the code changes :)

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: Re: [exec][email] Java 7 to 8

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.