Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@en.muc.de> on 1996/05/07 00:04:51 UTC

RegExp Routines used in Apache 1.1 ?

I know the discussion about the RegExp routines which should included in the
new Apache code. It will be used by lot of modules in the feature, I think.
One of these modules, which requires a RegExp library, is my mod_rewrite.  A
powerful URL rewriting module which uses Regular Expressions to rewrite URLs
on-the-fly (It can be obtained from the Apache Module Registry Page - current
version is 1.5).

But I use the old regexp Routines from Henry Spencer, the System 8 ones!  And
I know, there are a lot of other ones available!

This leads to the question:
   WHICH regexp routines will be actually used in Apache 1.1 and higher???

I think you have decided one, but I didn't know about a final answer!

I for myself would say: rx-1.0 from GNU, but that should not count.  But if
there is still no final answer, I will give you some more hints about
available versions.

The following is a look inside the RegEx subtree of my software archive:

==================
RegEx
RegEx/wrapper
RegEx/wrapper/regex.c
RegEx/wrapper/regex.c.EVA
RegEx/wrapper/regex-wrapper.tar.gz
RegEx/wrapper/regex-wrapper.tar.gz.EVA
RegEx/POSIX.2
RegEx/POSIX.2/regex-spencer-44bsd.tar.gz
RegEx/POSIX.2/regex-spencer-44bsd.tar.gz.EVA
RegEx/POSIX.2/rx-0.05.tar.gz
RegEx/POSIX.2/rx-0.07.2.tar.gz
RegEx/POSIX.2/rx-1.0.tar.gz
RegEx/POSIX.2/rx-1.0.tar.gz.EVA
RegEx/POSIX.2/rxdispencer2.tar.gz
RegEx/POSIX.2/rxdispencer2.tar.gz.EVA
RegEx/POSIX.2/regex-0.12.tar.gz
RegEx/POSIX.2/regex-0.12.tar.gz.EVA
RegEx/V8
RegEx/V8/regexp-spencer-860402.tar.gz
RegEx/V8/regexp-spencer-860402.tar.gz.EVA
RegEx/V8/regexp-spencer-951110.tar.gz
RegEx/V8/regexp-spencer-951110.tar.gz.EVA
RegEx/V8/regexp-spencer-gilmore.tar.gz
RegEx/V8/regexp-spencer-gilmore.tar.gz.EVA
RegEx/BSD
RegEx/BSD/regex-Yigit.tar.gz
RegEx/BSD/regex-Yigit.tar.gz.EVA
==================

And here are my attachments (the .EVA files):

==================
Oneline: a wrapper for the V8 regcomp library to implement the old re_xxx
         functions from 4.2BSD
Origin:  FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 /usr/src/lib/libc/regex.c

Oneline: General code to be a wrapper for V8/SVR4/BSD regexp libraries
Origin:  Amanda 2.2.6.5 source code

Oneline: Henry Spencers implementation of the POSIX.2 regex(3) library
         [version alpha3.4 for 4.4BSD]
Origin:  Origin: ftp://zoo.toronto.edu/pub/regex.shar

Oneline: the _NEW_ GNU regexp library
Origin:  GNU archive, ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/lord/

Oneline: Rx, replaces with a backtracking algorithm from Henry Spencer
Origin:  ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/lord/

Oneline: The combined RegEx(POSIX) / RegExp(V8) library from GNU (POSIX draft
         P10003.2/D11.2 compliant)
Origin:  GNU archive

Oneline: Henry Spencers reimplementation of the AT&T Sys V8 regexp(3) library
         [original version as of 2. April 1986]
Origin:  Origin: ftp://zoo.toronto.edu/pub/oldregexp.shar

Oneline: Henry Spencers reimplementation of the AT&T Sys V8 regexp(3) library
         [last change: 10 Nov 1995 = LATEST!]
Origin:  Origin: ftp://zoo.toronto.edu/pub/bookregexp.shar

Oneline: The RegExp Library from Henry Spencer, enhanced by John Gilmore
         (GNU) for egrep and ed

Oneline: O. Yigits PUBLIC DOMAIN equivalents of regex routines as found in
         4.nBSD UN*X, with minor extensions

These are all available RegExp implementations I know about.

Again the question: Which one should be used in my mod_rewrite.c ?

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@en.muc.de
                                        http://www.muc.de/~rse