Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daniel Gresh <dg...@lle.rochester.edu> on 2007/04/16 23:14:54 UTC

Tomcat 6.0.9 connection stopped working and will not resume

Hi,

I was editing a JSP page. I saved the file, and refreshed the web page
at http://localhost:port/myapp/page.jsp. Apparently, this caused Tomcat
to shut down for some reason. I had this problem before, but I don't
remember how I solved it. Anyway when I had the problem previously I was
able to call startup.sh on the server to start it up again and tinker
with my jsp page. However, when I call startup.sh now, it seems to go
fine, but I'm getting a connection refused error in my browser. I can
call shutdown.sh fine as well after I call startup.sh, which is puzzling
to me.

Is there anything I can look at to help determine the source of this
problem? What could have gone wrong?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Tomcat 6.0.9 connection stopped working and will not resume

Posted by Daniel Gresh <dg...@lle.rochester.edu>.
Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Daniel Gresh <dg...@lle.rochester.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was editing a JSP page. I saved the file, and refreshed the web page
>> at http://localhost:port/myapp/page.jsp. Apparently, this caused Tomcat
>> to shut down for some reason. I had this problem before, but I don't
>> remember how I solved it.
>
> Try the settings mentioned under "Preventing dB connection pool leaks"
> at
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
>

>> Anyway when I had the problem previously I was
>> able to call startup.sh on the server to start it up again and tinker
>> with my jsp page. However, when I call startup.sh now, it seems to go
>> fine, but I'm getting a connection refused error in my browser. I can
>> call shutdown.sh fine as well after I call startup.sh, which is puzzling
>> to me.
>
> Are there any specific and relevant error messages in Tomcat's log files?
>

>> Is there anything I can look at to help determine the source of this
>> problem? What could have gone wrong?
>
> The "Common Problems" section:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html#Common%20Problems
>
> covers a few things to watch out.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>>

> -Rashmi

I figured out what caused Tomcat to shut down; it had happened to me
before. I had some:

System.exit(0);

calls in some of my .java files that I had forgotten to remove. I
removed those calls, restarted Tomcat, and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the help,

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 4/16/07, Daniel Gresh <dg...@lle.rochester.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was editing a JSP page. I saved the file, and refreshed the web page
> at http://localhost:port/myapp/page.jsp. Apparently, this caused Tomcat
> to shut down for some reason. I had this problem before, but I don't
> remember how I solved it.

Try the settings mentioned under "Preventing dB connection pool leaks"
at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

>Anyway when I had the problem previously I was
> able to call startup.sh on the server to start it up again and tinker
> with my jsp page. However, when I call startup.sh now, it seems to go
> fine, but I'm getting a connection refused error in my browser. I can
> call shutdown.sh fine as well after I call startup.sh, which is puzzling
> to me.

Are there any specific and relevant error messages in Tomcat's log files?

> Is there anything I can look at to help determine the source of this
> problem? What could have gone wrong?

The "Common Problems" section:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html#Common%20Problems
covers a few things to watch out.