Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by sai krishnam raju potturi <ps...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/28 20:12:00 UTC

Fwd: Re : Restoring nodes in a new datacenter, from snapshots in an existing datacenter

hi;
     We have cassandra cluster with Vnodes spanning across 3 data centers.
We take backup of the snapshots from one datacenter.
   In a doomsday scenario, we want to restore a downed datacenter, with
snapshots from another datacenter. We have same number of nodes in each
datacenter.

1 : We know it requires copying the snapshots and their corresponding token
ranges to the nodes in new datacenter, and running nodetool refresh.

2 : The question is, we will now have 2 datacenters, with the same exact
token ranges. Will that cause any problem.

DC1 : Node-1 : token1......token10
      Node-2 : token11 .....token20
      Node-3 : token21 ..... token30
      Node-4 : token31 ..... token40

 DC2 : Node-1 : token1.....token10
       Node-2 : token11....token20
       Node-3 : token21....token30
       Node-4 : token31....token40

thanks
Sai

Re: Re : Restoring nodes in a new datacenter, from snapshots in an existing datacenter

Posted by sai krishnam raju potturi <ps...@gmail.com>.
thanks Nate. But regarding our situation, of the 3 Datacenters we have DC1
DC2 and DC3, we take backup of snapshots  on DC1.

If DC3 were to go down, will we not be able to bring up a new DC4 with
snapshots and token_ranges from DC1?

Posted by Nate McCall <na...@thelastpickle.com>.

--