Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/23 09:10:05 UTC

Performance branch - svnserve crash in fs_history_prev

Hi,

I've taken the performance branch for a spin. Some of performance
increases are awesome (svn log is ~4 times faster on my machine
(tested with a file with 300 revisions)).

However, I also experienced a crash of svnserve, for both "svn log"
and "svn blame" of a big file with >2000 revisions (so this is quite
an extreme case). See both .log files in attachment. Something goes
wrong in svn_fs_fs__id_deserialize, during processing of
fs_history_prev.

I also have crash dump files of the crashes. If you want those, let me
know and I'll send them via private email.

This was on Windows XP, a release build with VCE 2008.

Cheers,
--
Johan

Re: Performance branch - svnserve crash in fs_history_prev

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Stefan Fuhrmann
<st...@alice-dsl.de> wrote:
> Johan Corveleyn wrote:
>> However, I also experienced a crash of svnserve, for both "svn log"
>> and "svn blame" of a big file with >2000 revisions (so this is quite
>> an extreme case). See both .log files in attachment. Something goes
>> wrong in svn_fs_fs__id_deserialize, during processing of
>> fs_history_prev.
>>

> Hm, I couldn't reproduce that problem so far even with large
> repositories. Could you rerun your tests in debug mode?
> The stack trace should be more reliable then (e.g. "data_len"
> on level #3 is either bogus or the reason for the crash).

Ok, here they are in attachment (one for blame and one for log).
Reproduced with a debug build (of branches/performance@now), on the
same machine.

Crashed with both "blame" and "log" of large file with large number of
revisions (but I don't know if that's actually relevant, maybe it's
not related). With blame it crashed much sooner as my release build.

Cheers,

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Fuhrmann <st...@alice-dsl.de>.
Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've taken the performance branch for a spin. Some of performance
> increases are awesome (svn log is ~4 times faster on my machine
> (tested with a file with 300 revisions)).

Try playing with the -c, -F and -M parameters. They should
yield result in even better performance. With sufficient memory
allotted to the server process, second runs of "svn log", for
instance, will be10x faster than the first run
> However, I also experienced a crash of svnserve, for both "svn log"
> and "svn blame" of a big file with >2000 revisions (so this is quite
> an extreme case). See both .log files in attachment. Something goes
> wrong in svn_fs_fs__id_deserialize, during processing of
> fs_history_prev.

Hm, I couldn't reproduce that problem so far even with large
repositories. Could you rerun your tests in debug mode?
The stack trace should be more reliable then (e.g. "data_len"
on level #3 is either bogus or the reason for the crash).
> I also have crash dump files of the crashes. If you want those, let me
> know and I'll send them via private email.
>
> This was on Windows XP, a release build with VCE 2008.
Since I don't have the same binaries and PDB files that you used,
the crash dumps will probably not tell me much more than the
text files that you posted.

Thanks for testing!

-- Stefan^2.

Re: Performance branch - svnserve crash in fs_history_prev

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
Trying again with .txt extension added.

Johan

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be>.
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've taken the performance branch for a spin. Some of performance
> increases are awesome (svn log is ~4 times faster on my machine
> (tested with a file with 300 revisions)).
>
> However, I also experienced a crash of svnserve, for both "svn log"
> and "svn blame" of a big file with >2000 revisions (so this is quite
> an extreme case). See both .log files in attachment. Something goes
> wrong in svn_fs_fs__id_deserialize, during processing of
> fs_history_prev.

Either you forgot the attachments, or they were dropped by our mailing
sw. Try adding a .txt extension.

Lieven