Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by BRM <bm...@yahoo.com> on 2013/04/03 21:36:47 UTC

SVN wc/repo issue...

I have a repository with many projects in it, and have been working on the layout of one project in particular - adding directories and moving source into it.
I am now trying to move a directory in that projects part of the tree to another part of the tree, simply:

$ svn mv ../../include .

However, 'svn mv' keeps returning:

    Unable to lock '.'

I've tried it from several working copies - including one fresh checkout, all with the same result.
We don't typically use locks in the repository, and I'm the only person working on this part of the tree - and no locks in it.

'svn status' does not return any files as having been locked, and 'svn cleanup' doesn't seem to resolve the issue either.

Is there any way to tell what might be locked on the server side?

Any other ideas of what to check?
I didn't see any issues in the Apache2 logs, at least anything obvious.

We're using Apache2/2.2.22 + Subversion 1.6.17 as the server (Ubuntu Releases); and I'm using 1.6.19 on the client (compiled under Kubuntu 8.04).

Ben

Re: SVN wc/repo issue...

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag BRM,
am Mittwoch, 3. April 2013 um 21:36 schrieben Sie:

> Is there any way to tell what might be locked on the server  side?

The problem is not related to any server locks within the svn repo,
but only with your local filesystem and/or your working copy.
SVN-Locks a re only recognized during operations where the repo is
involved, which it isn't in your case, as the mv operation is fully
local.

May it be that your "." is a child of ../../include?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: SVN wc/repo issue...

Posted by BRM <bm...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks.

I didn't think any server-side locks were involved, but didn't know if a commit earlier on may have done something on the server-side.
I did get around it by using the "svn mv" command to do a server-to-server move - kind of like doing it in TSVN's Repository Browser; and that worked just fine.

I'll have to look to see if upgrading the client to 1.7 is feasible - though I don't do this specific task very often; it's just a matter of whether there's enough dependencies in 8.04 to support 1.7 series; I already had to build 1.6 for it (since Debian/Ubuntu only supports 1.5 for 8.04).

Thanks!

Ben

RE: SVN wc/repo issue...

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.

Or by passing the absolute paths to ../../include and the current directory.

Before Subversion 1.7 the working copy wasn't able to step into parent directories when a path was passed in this form.

	Bert

Re: SVN wc/repo issue...

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.