Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2011/07/26 20:27:09 UTC

addons binary assembly question - LIC/NOTICE/Readme

The uima-addons project has two places it keeps LICENSE/NOTICE files.

The src/main/readme has these plus RELEASE_NOTES.html.  The "top level" has
these also.

The binary assembly copies both of these into the assembly top level - which
overlays the ones in src/main/readme with the ones at the top level.

This doesn't look right...

I think there are two LICENSE/NOTICE files potentially needed - if we do things
the way we used to.  One is for the source assembly; these would come from the
top level ones, assuming the src assembly is just zipping up the svn checkout,
or something close to that.  The other would be for the binary assembly, and
since that is including other jars perhaps having particular license and notice
requirements, we should be preparing a concatenation of the license and notice
files in the individual binary packagings of the add-on components.

The other possibility would be to have the addons aggregate have a license and
notice file that said something like "Please refer to individual directories
containing each component for their respective License and Notice files".  This
would certainly ease maintenance :-).  I'll ask on apache-legal if this is ok.

-Marshall

Re: addons binary assembly question - LIC/NOTICE/Readme

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

On 7/26/2011 2:27 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> The uima-addons project has two places it keeps LICENSE/NOTICE files.

oops, I misread the assembly descriptor - it only fetches the LICENSE/NOTICE
from the src/main/readme - so this looks right - that one should be the one for
the binary assembly.

The source assembly (which doesn't include the dependency jars) gets its
LICENSE/NOTICE from the top level.

Only the src/main/readme has RELEASE_NOTES files.  But the assembly descriptor
has a line to copy that also from the top-level - that I think should be removed.

And we no longer have README files for the add-ons - so those lines can be
removed from the assembly descriptor too.

-Marshall