Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Noah <ad...@enabled.com> on 2006/04/20 23:35:56 UTC

[users@httpd] You don't have permission to access /pipermail/ on this server.

mailman-2.1.7
apache 2.2.0

Okay I just upgrade from apache 1.3.x to apache 2.2.0 and arriving at a
permissions problem when viewing pipermail mailman directories:

---s nip ---

You don't have permission to access /pipermail/garbled-name/ on this server.

--- snip ---

Here is what I've done so far:

---- apache httpd.conf file ----

int he virtual host stanza

        ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/home/mailman/cgi-bin/
        Alias /pipermail/ /usr/home/mailman/archives/public/
        Alias /icons/ /usr/home/mailman/icons/
        <Directory /usr/home/mailman/archives/public/>
                  Options +FollowSymlinks
                  Allow from all
        </Directory>

---s nip ---

restarted apache.

and I ran bin/check_perms

--- snip----

# /usr/home/mailman/bin/check_perms -f
No problems found

=---- snip ----

what else could be the problem here?

cheers,

Noah

Re: [users@httpd] You don't have permission to access /pipermail/ on this server.

Posted by Noah <ad...@enabled.com>.
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:45:57 +0200, Robert Ionescu wrote
> Noah wrote:
> > Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible
>
> So you're accessing a symlink? Now either a
> Options +FollowSymLinks
> for that directory is missing in your httpd.conf or Apache can't go
> to/read the target of the symbolic link.
>
> The symlink is stored in /usr/home/mailman/archives/public/ or where?

Great question

just a side note permissions for private lists are fine.

So here is how the directory structure is set up:
/usr/home/mailman/archives/public/list sym links to
/usr/home/mailman/archives/private/list

The permissions for:
/usr/home/mailman/archives/private/list
are  www:www or mailman:mailman either does not work and results a 403
Forbidden error.

and the apache logs show:

--- snip ---

Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible:
/usr/home/mailman/archives/public/list, referer:

--- snip ---

Posted by Robert Ionescu <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Noah <ad...@enabled.com>.
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:45:09 +0200, Robert Ionescu wrote
> Noah wrote:
> > You don't have permission to access /pipermail/garbled-name/ on this server.
>
> Can you find anything related in your error.log?

Excellent question:

Posted by Robert Ionescu <ro...@googlemail.com>.