Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/16 23:39:52 UTC

knowing which field contributed the search result

Hi:

   Is there way to find out given a hit from a search, find out which
fields contributed to the hit?

e.g.

If my search for:

contents1="brown fox" OR contents2="black bear"

can the document founded by this query also have information on
whether it was found via contents1 or contents2 or both.

Thanks

-John

Filtering Question

Posted by Luke Shannon <ls...@futurebrand.com>.
Hello;

I'm trying to create a Filter that only retrieves documents with a path
field containing a sub string(s).

I can get the Filter to work if the BooleanQuery below (used to create the
Filter) contains only TermQueries (this requires me to know the exact path).
But not if it contains Wildcard?

Here is the code to create the filter:

//if the paths parameter is null we don't use the filter
        boolean useFilter = false;
        BooleanQuery filterParams = new BooleanQuery();
        if (paths != null) {
            useFilter = true;
            Trace.DEBUG("The query will have a filter with " + paths.size()
+ " terms.");
            Iterator path = paths.iterator();
            while (path.hasNext()) {
                String strPath = "*" + (String)path.next() + "*";
                Trace.DEBUG(strPath + " is one of the params");
                filterParams.add(new WildcardQuery(new Term("path",
strPath)), false, false);
            }

        }
        Trace.DEBUG("The filter is created using this: " + filterParams);
        Filter pathFilter = new QueryFilter(filterParams);
        Trace.DEBUG("The filter is " + pathFilter.toString());

When useFilter is true, the search is executed with pathFilter as the second
parameter -> hits = searcher.search(query, pathFilter);

Here is a small output, without the filter this query returns all the
documents in the index. With it, 6 should be coming back.

*testing* is one of the params
The filter is created using this: path:*testing*
The filter is QueryFilter(path:*testing*)
The query: olfaithfull:*stillhere* returned 0

Why won't this work?

Thanks,

Luke

Re: MultiField Queries without the QueryParser

Posted by Luke Shannon <ls...@futurebrand.com>.
Responding to this posts. Please disreguard.

Sorry.

Re: knowing which field contributed the search result

Posted by David Spencer <da...@tropo.com>.
John Wang wrote:

> Hi David:
>
>     Can you further explain which calls specically would solve my problem?

Not in depth but anyway:

Examine the output of Explanation.toHtml() and/or
Explanation.toString(). Does it contain the info you want..if so call
the other Explanation methods and/or dig into the src if necessary.
getValue() is the score, so all that's missing is the name of the field
and I'm not sure if that's directly returned or not.

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi David:

Posted by David Spencer <da...@tropo.com>.

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.