Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Daniele Dellafiore <il...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/01 12:31:18 UTC

AutocompleteTextField and object (not just String)

Hi.

I'm sure I'm talking about something that has already been discussed
here and on stackoverflow a lot, but still I haven't found a solution.

I do not understand how AutocompleteTextField works when dealing with
list of objects that are not just strings. Other wicket components
like DropDown has a clear pattern: the renderer is used only for
rendering purpose, there's a model to store selection and a model to
store choices options.

Still, I can't figure out how to do the very same thing with
AutocompleteTextField.

The best I can get is:
		TextField codeField = new AutoCompleteTextField<JSONObject>("code",
model, JSONObject.class, renderer,
		      new AutoCompleteSettings());

I'm using an AbstractAutoCompleteTextRenderer and a PropertyModel
binded to a JSONObject variable.
It all works but when I submit the form, it says me that the selected
string is not a valid JSONObject, so he cannot attach it to the field.

the ITerator returned by AutocompleteTextField.getChoices(String
input) is an Iterator of JSONObject.
I expect that when I submit, the setObject receives the selected
JSONObject, not the String I do render using a specific Renderer.

How can that be done?

Thanks anyone for help.

--
Daniele Dellafiore
http://danieledellafiore.net

Re: AutocompleteTextField and object (not just String)

Posted by Giovanni Cuccu <gi...@cup2000.it>.
ciao,
     I think Autocompletetextfield deals only with String.
IIRC there is a objectautocomplete in wicketstuff.
I did not use it personally but I suppose that does what you need.
Giovanni

--
Giovanni Cuccu
Responsabile area sviluppo - CUP 2000 Spa

Re: AutocompleteTextField and object (not just String)

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
probably easier to use

https://github.com/ivaynberg/wicket-select2

which integrates

http://ivaynberg.github.com/select2/

rather then writing your own from scratch...

-igor