Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Stephen Rosman <st...@rosman.id.au> on 2011/05/05 02:09:44 UTC

Creating "tabs" based on page contents - regions or absolutely positioned blocks?

I'm creating pages for a handbook that contains a list of people, one
to a page.  I have a left hand page <fo:simple-page-master> and a
right hand page <fo:simple-page-master> which are alternated by a
<fo:page-sequence-master> for odd and even pages and a single
<fo:page-sequence> which has a <fo:flow> containing all the people
data with page breaks in between.

I want to create "tabs" of vertical text on the outside edge of each
page with the name of the person profiled on that page so you can
flick through the book to find people easily. I've thought about doing
it a couple of ways but they each seem to have problems.

I've tried doing it with page regions, adding a region-start and
region-end to my left and right simple-page-masters.  But I can't get
the person's name onto the tabs, I could create a flow that fills the
regions with the name text but I can't flow content from the
region-start of the left hand page to the region-end of the right hand
page.  It would be possible with <fo:static-content> if you could
create a "variables" or "reference" on a page that can be accessed in
a similar way to <fo:page-number>.

I've tried doing it by creating an absolutely positioned
block-container from each page.  Putting the names into these is
easier but I don't know how you'd get them positioned according to
whether their the left or right hand page.

I've looked through the standard (XSL v1 - which I have to admit I
don't find that easy to read) and done some searches but not found
anything relevant.

Any ideas of what to try?

--
Stephen Rosman

AW: Creating "tabs" based on page contents - regions or absolutely positioned blocks?

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Stephen,

I think you were on the right track when using regions. The missing component is called "marker". When you search for markers, you should find examples for dictionaries, which have the first and the last word of the page printed into the headline. Such an example should be easily adapted to your case.

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl