Posted to users@maven.apache.org by MT...@EvergreenInvestments.com on 2006/03/31 15:59:08 UTC

Quick explanation requested

I'd appreciate if someone can shed some light on 2 points.

1) Why is it a good idea to have a complete app stored on ibiblio
including source? Is there any safeguards as to who can download these
projects (i.e. what security is in place, for example if someone knows or
guesses your artifactId)?

2) Why would we initate the following command below, if we get all the
plugin components initally when we download any goal the first time?
    mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=javax.activation
-DartifactId=activation -Dversion=1.0.2
  -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/

Thanks.
Miike Tedesco

Re: Quick explanation requested

Posted by Gareth Western <ga...@gmail.com>.
Well, once you have set up an internal repository, Maven can do anything
that it does with a normal repository. Some of the benefits of having an
internal repository are:

1) Faster downloads / Less use of your own Internet bandwidth
2) Machines that may not have access to the Internet might still be able to
access your internal one
3) You can easily add your own artifacts / artifacts that may not yet be
available on ibiblio or another public repository, such as some of the Sun
Jars, or alternative versions.

There is some documentation regarding repositories at
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-repositories.html

Maven-Proxy is a very useful tool for setting up an internal repository.
It's available from http://maven-proxy.codehaus.org/.

I've heard bits and pieces of more "official" tools being developed for a
similar purpose to maven-proxy, but I don't think any are yet publicly
released.

Cheers,

Gareth

Posted by MT...@EvergreenInvestments.com.
Oh Ok thanks for the explanation I think the internal repository idea is
more what I had in mind. What can Mahven do in terms of this feature and
is there any documentation for it?

-- Thanks, Mike

"Gareth Western" <ga...@gmail.com>
03/31/2006 09:34 AM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Quick explanation requested

Hi,

You would only have an app stored on ibiblio if you were willing to
distribute your application (along with the source), and as long as your
application's licensing is compatible with this. AFAIK there are no
"safeguards" on ibiblio. It's a publicly-browsable repository which people
can use to retrieve code on which their own application relies. I would
guess that you don't need to upload your application to ibiblio anyway.
Perhaps you're confusing ibiblio with creating your own internal
repository,
the latter of which you COULD upload your own applications for internal
downloads, etc.?

Posted by Gareth Western <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

You would only have an app stored on ibiblio if you were willing to
distribute your application (along with the source), and as long as your
application's licensing is compatible with this. AFAIK there are no
"safeguards" on ibiblio. It's a publicly-browsable repository which people
can use to retrieve code on which their own application relies. I would
guess that you don't need to upload your application to ibiblio anyway.
Perhaps you're confusing ibiblio with creating your own internal repository,
the latter of which you COULD upload your own applications for internal
downloads, etc.?

Cheers,

Gareth

On 3/31/06, MTedesco@evergreeninvestments.com <
MTedesco@evergreeninvestments.com> wrote:

> I'd appreciate if someone can shed some light on 2 points.
>
> 1) Why is it a good idea to have a complete app stored on ibiblio
> including source? Is there any safeguards as to who can download these
> projects (i.e. what security is in place, for example if someone knows or
> guesses your artifactId)?
>
> 2) Why would we initate the following command below, if we get all the
> plugin components initally when we download any goal the first time?
>     mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=javax.activation
> -DartifactId=activation -Dversion=1.0.2
>   -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/
>
> Thanks.
> Miike Tedesco

RE: Quick explanation requested

Posted by MT...@EvergreenInvestments.com.
Thanks, For the explanation Johann

"Johann Reyes" <jr...@hiberforum.org>
03/31/2006 09:13 AM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

"'Maven Users List'" <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Quick explanation requested

Hello Miike

About point 2:

You would need to manually add (mvn install:install-file) a dependency
when
they cannot be found in ibiblio. In the example that you gave, that jar
along others from Sun (like Transaction, and Mail) it wouldn't be found in
ibiblio thanks to licensing issues about the distribution of the jar, it
cannot be added to ibiblio thus you have to manually go and download the
jar
from Sun and install it.
Regards

Johann Reyes