Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Kenny Cason <Ke...@radiancetech.com> on 2018/06/27 19:37:25 UTC

Explaining how an inference was made

In Protégé there is an "explain" button next to each inference, which allows the user to see the path taken to create the inference. This is very handy in answering questions like "how in the world did that inference get made". Instead of starting with axioms and generating an inference, this takes an inference and travels back to the axioms upon which it is based.

Is there a Jena API or process that does the same thing? If so, is it reasoner specific (I'm currently using HermiT)?

Thanks,

-Kenny Cason
Radiance Technologies
Cyber Solutions Group
3133 General Hudnell Dr. Ste. 116
San Antonio, TX 78226
Kenneth.Cason@radiancetech.com<ma...@radiancetech.com>
206.550.0049

Re: Explaining how an inference was made

Posted by "Lorenz B." <co...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
For OWL this is more complex than you might think - I know the
(brilliant) work of Matthew Horridge, basically it was his PhD computing
minimal sets of OWL axioms from which a given axiom can be entailed by
an OWL reasoner.

For Jena, we have [1]

[1] https://jena.apache.org/documentation/inference/#derivations