Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/12 12:03:27 UTC

Maven issue with JDK16 - javac and javadoc

Hi folks,
I have fallen into this issue about Maven + Maven Compiler Plugin + JDK16

This is the issue on JDK issue tracking

Basically -Xdoclint:missing does not work anymore when you run javac inside
the same JVM as Maven core, because the JVM lacks the jdk.javadoc module.
If you run javac in "fork" mode the problem is not present because the
external "javac" program loads correctly jdk.javadoc module and is able to
execute "-Xdoclint"

it looks like we have to fix it on Maven, I am not sure the problem is
about maven-compiler-plugin or plexus compiler, as it is because the JVM
that executes Maven core lacks the jdk.javadoc module.

On the JDK side it looks like the issue is to be closed as "works for me"

Thoughts?
Enrico

Re: Maven issue with JDK16 - javac and javadoc

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1, got some weirdness on j11 too. We should really have a way to ignore
these errors, it is too impacting, in particular when javadoc are only
deployed to make central or our nexus happy.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm.INVALID>.
On 12 Nov 2020, at 14:50, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm.INVALID> wrote:

> I have been smashing my head against the javadoc plugin and maven-release-plugin, which keeps failing releases over and over again on the basis that the docs can’t be built.
>
> In the absence of a way to fix this, if there is a way to switch this off it would help a huge amount.

What I eventually discovered was that when building the site, and when building the site as part of the release plugin release process, different versions of plugins were being selected, despite the versions of the plugins being pinned properly in the build section of the pom.

What worked around the problem was pinning the javadoc plugin version in the reporting part of the pom.
  <reporting>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <version>3.2.0</version>
        <configuration>
          <detectJavaApiLink>false</detectJavaApiLink>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-project-info-reports-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>3.1.1</version>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </reporting>
Ideally if the errors that complain about versions not being pinned can also tell us specifically _where_ these unpinned versions are declared, this will help enormously to take the randomness out of maven released.

Regards,
Graham
—

Re: Maven issue with JDK16 - javac and javadoc

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il Dom 13 Dic 2020, 11:38 Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> Robert already suggested to use ToolProvider for the JDK9+ builds. I
> created such a patch for jlink and I could create s similar one for the
> compiler and javadoc plugin. This would solve the underlying problem from
> my understanding.

Makes sense to me.

Btw the problem here is only with javac, not javadoc.
The problem is that javac doesn't see jdk.javadoc module while running
inside Maven process.
This module is needed when using-Xdoclint that depends on javadoc

Thanks
Please ping me when you have a patch I will be happy to test it

Enrico

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.
Hi, sorry for the late reply…

Enrico I think the latest version should work, and here is the IT (I just
didn’t create a PR yet):
https://github.com/apache/maven-compiler-plugin/pull/37

MCOMPILER-445/pom.xml succeeds, other tests fail because of an outdated
groovy plugin.
I will push another commit updating the groovy plugin, if you like.

WDYT?

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
I'm pretty sure this can be solved without touching the maven startup scripts.
And I don't like the idea to hack the script because one plugin has issues.
I expect good help on your question on the jigsaw mailinglist.

Robert
On 14-12-2020 15:21:04, Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org> wrote:
I was able to provide a test, but the only solution to the underlying I
found was to modify the mvn start script by adding the missing modules (or
maybe even better: all system modules).

From what I could see from slack, plexus compiler would need to be a

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il giorno lun 14 dic 2020 alle ore 15:21 Benjamin Marwell <
bmarwell@apache.org> ha scritto:

> I was able to provide a test, but the only solution to the underlying I
> found was to modify the mvn start script by adding the missing modules (or
> maybe even better: all system modules).

I tried with .mvn/jvm.config
but it does not work
https://maven.apache.org/configure.html

what does your change look like ?

Enrico

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.
I was able to provide a test, but the only solution to the underlying I
found was to modify the mvn start script by adding the missing modules (or
maybe even better: all system modules).

From what I could see from slack, plexus compiler would need to be a

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. If is has proven itself for jlink, then we know we can do the same for all other tools.

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.