Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dror Braznitzki <Dr...@yellowpages.co.il> on 2002/01/16 10:10:12 UTC

Running DOS batch files as CGI

Hi All,

Is it possible to run MS-DOS batch files as a CGI on Apache ?
Can anyone direct me to an article about it or give a shirt example of how
to do it ?

Thanx,
Dror

the system manager.

www.yellowpages.co.il

RE: Running DOS batch files as CGI

Posted by Mike Arrison <ar...@gnostech.com>.
Dror,
    Theoretically, any program, written in any language, can be used as a
CGI program.  The only requirements are that it outputs something that
apache knows what to do with (HTML, GIF, or other valid mime type).  So yes,
a simple DOS batch file like:

REM   I am a batch file
ECHO "Content-type: text/html\n\n"
ECHO "Here's my content"

	should work.  You just have to get apache to recognize that it's not a text
file, but rather an executable script.  This can be done on an extension
basis (*.bat), or preferably on a per file basis (asdf.bat).  I would guess
that adding a handler for *.bat might be a little dangerous. A little
misconfiguration could allow an attacker to run random .bat files your
computer.
	Sorry I don't have an article describing how to do it, but maybe this will
help a little.

     -Mike Arrison
      arrison@gnostech.com
      Systems Engineer