Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/18 16:16:52 UTC

Incubating tasks

I've updated the Roller incubating status page, though it might be a
while before it gets updated on the site. Here's a list of the major
tasks we have yet to complete on that page:

1) Move wiki
2) Move website
3) Change org.roller to org.apache.roller
4) Remove LGPL jars from distribution
5) Remove BCL jars from distribution
6) Add ASF license/copyright to files
7) Migrate Jira issues

And my thoughts on each:

1) How shall we do this? What do we have to migrate, how much can we
leave behind? Not sure we can do this until we release at Apache. ie:
2) Need to request a zone to run Roller on. Can't really do this until
we can release at Apache. ie: #4.
3) Dependent on being able to release, ie: #4.
4) Needs focus. This has been our core incubating problem; not so much
that we use LGPL but that the licensing issues are a moving target.
5) Hold off on for the moment, there are many projects with this
problem and there's no point Roller being a test-case.
6) Dependent on being able to release, ie: #4.
7) Problematic. Known Jira issue. Probably also depends on #4.

So basically; the LGPL dependency holds us back from completing the
rest of our incubating tasks. Or rather, waiting on licensing policy.
However we're going the right way there, investigating JDO via Craig.

I'll confirm on general@incubator that we can't release with links to
a site at Apache, a wiki at Apache or a Jira at Apache.

Hen