Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com> on 2008/08/06 22:27:01 UTC

Future Releases (and fast-fail)?

It seems like we've been stuck on version 2.3.x for a long time (over a
year...).  Can anyone talk about plans for a new official release?  I
really don't want to go into production with beta versions.

What I'm really hoping for soon is fast-fail.  How close is that?
Until I get fast-fail, I can't bounce anything due to the fact if I
bounce a spam, it looks like it came from me, and I'm flagged as a
spammer on the blacklist sites.  But without the ability to respond when
there are incorrect addresses or other errors, the senders have no way
of knowing that their mail did not arrive at the destination.  Other
mail servers simply reject the incoming email immediately as opposed to
accepting everything and determining errors later.

There was talk a couple of years ago about a gray-listing function in
the 'next release'.  That would be nice as well.

What are the plans for the future of James?

Thanks.

Jerry