Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Gareth Cronin <Ga...@kiwiplan.co.nz> on 2002/07/22 22:26:37 UTC

The supposedly resolved JUnit vs log4j appender problem

Hi,

Looking at the list archives, this issue has cropped up before, but there
are references to it having been fixed as of log4j 1.2.5. I am using JUnit
3.7, and when I attempt to initialise a Logger, I get the following error:

log4j:ERROR A "org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender" object is not assignable to
a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.
log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "A1".

There are no rogue log4j.properties files in my class path, nor are there
any rogue older versions of log4j. This problem does not occur when I run
the program independently, but it does occur under any JUnit test.

I was previously using JUnit 3.7 with log4j-1.1.x and the old Category class
- the problem was not occuring in that configuration.

TIA,

Gareth.