Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by esper <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2012/09/25 13:36:06 UTC

Again with the tapestry, hibernate and switching the database

Hi,

here's the problem that I'm facing.
I have a project with several databases (separate databases but the schemas
are the same!).
I want to decide which database to use when the user authenticates. That
user could use *only one database at the time* but he could switch between
them if he wants.

How to tell tapestry and hibernate that? It's not the authentication
explanation I want - different hibernate configuration is what I'm
interested in.

Can someone assist me with this?

Re: Again with the tapestry, hibernate and switching the database

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:48:41 -0300, esper <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You don't have to be sorry, I understand.
> Can you please point me in the right direction on where to start reading
> about this stuff?

You're already in the right path.

> How do I disable hibernate-tapestry module?

Just don't add it to your classpath.

> How do I set up hibernate and
> tapestry to run independently from one another?

Just use Hibernate just like you weren't using Tapestry. They're
completely separate and independent from each other.

--

Thiago

Re: Again with the tapestry, hibernate and switching the database

Posted by esper <ma...@yahoo.com>.
You don't have to be sorry, I understand.
Can you please point me in the right direction on where to start reading
about this stuff?
How do I disable hibernate-tapestry module? How do I set up hibernate and

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 03:57:09 -0300, esper <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Taha! It is indeed very useful.
> I still find it hard to believe that you can't load/rebuild the entire
> different hibernate session with Tapestry. No matter the time it takes.

I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong here. As Taha said,
tapestry-hibernate doesn't support multiple databases. But you can use
Tapestry and Hibernate together without using tapestry-hibernate. Tapestry
itself doesn't mandate how you should use Hibernate (or any other
framework.

> said, I only need those databases to work one at the time.
>
> Somehow I imagined it like this:
> - create different hibernate configuration for each database
> - create a session helper to execute something like this
> sessionFactory = new Configuration().configure().buildSessionFactory();
> - load the session object back to tapestry
>
> But, can it be done?

Yes.

--
Thiago

Re: Again with the tapestry, hibernate and switching the database

Posted by Taha Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.
My point here is that you can't do it with tapestry-hibernate module but you can always do it with "tapestry" and "hibernate". :)

You can take a look at https://github.com/tawus/tapestry5 where I have modified tapestry-hibernate to work with multiple databases. If you can tweak it further you might to able to accomplish choosing session based on client.

Posted by Taha Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.
If your databases are having same schema then multi-tenancy is an option.

http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.1/devguide/en-US/html/ch16.html

If there are completely different databases then I don't think you can do that with tapestry-hibernate database. Tapestry-hibernate does not support multiple databases.  Tapestry-jpa does support multiple-databases.

With tapestry-jpa you can setup multiple databases and for switching based on client, you will have to use EntityManagerManager

http://tapestry.apache.org/5.3.4/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/jpa/EntityManagerManager.html

and choose the database(persistence context) based on the client.

Posted by esper <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Taha Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi

If it is a new application, you can try new multi-tenancy in hibernate or JPA.