Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2006/07/25 22:49:22 UTC

Geronimo 1.1 JARs but not CARs on ibiblio; car-maven-plugin change

So I can use Maven 2 against Geronimo 1.1 since the G 1.1 JARs have
been pushed to Maven 2.

However, I can't use the car-maven-plugin to build a CAR in a script
the way we do in Geronimo because it appears that you're supposed to
list your parent module as a dependency, and none of the Geronimo 1.1
CARs are in the Maven 2 repo.  So you can list e.g.
geronimo/rmi-naming/1.1/car as a dependency if you want that to be
your parent, and the build dies with:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) geronimo:rmi-naming:car:1.1

I tried telling it to use version 1.0 just for grins, and it
downloaded an unbelievable amount of stuff -- and eventually died
here:

Path to dependency:
        1) gplugins:quartz-scheduler-plugin:car:0.2.1
        2) geronimo:rmi-naming:car:1.0
        3) geronimo:geronimo-jetty:jar:1.0
        4) org.springframework:spring:jar:1.2.5
        5) org.springframework:spring-support:jar:1.2.5
        6) javax.resource:connector:jar:1.0

This is pretty ridiculous, since the dependency is not actually needed
to build, we just want its name to write it into a plan file.  I
originally was going to ask for the CARs to be posted, but not if is
has this side effect if pulling in an unholy amout of crap.

I'd rather manually specify the <environment> in my plan and suppress
the "feature" that writes a modified <environment> into the target
plan.

It looks like the offending code is in PlanProcessorMojo, so I'd like
to add a config option to that file to suppress the auto-generated
environment.  But I don't know a whole lot about Maven plugins.  Can
someone walk me through adding a config option to the car-maven-plugin
that will eventually be set into a variable on the PlanProcessorMojo
instance?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Geronimo 1.1 JARs but not CARs on ibiblio; car-maven-plugin change

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
I'll read and reply in detail in a while. But for now, here's a quick
answer to your last question -

In the PlanProcessorMojo.java, introduce the variable (foo) you desire
as a field. Annotate that field as follows

/**
 * @parameter
 */
private String foo;

Use the variable directly in your code in that class. (No getters or
setters needed)

Pass the value to that new variable as a config option in the pom.xml.
<foo>value of the new variable</foo>

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Well, in practice, it's not possible to include no dependencies in a
build that is going to first create a module (JAR/WAR/etc) and then
build a CAR out of it.  The CAR module always needs the dependency on
the original module.  So it's hard to create the "no changes to
environment" scenario.  Perhaps we could configure the plan processing
mojo to ignore dependencies with scope=provided or something?

Thanks,
     Aaron

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
--- Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

> So I can use Maven 2 against Geronimo 1.1 since the G 1.1 JARs have
> been pushed to Maven 2.

This needs more thought... It is not likely to work because of
different groupIds in 1.1 and 1.2. The 1.1 jars are different from 1.2
jars. They contain different geronimo-dependency.xml files.

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com