Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Basil James Whitehouse III <ba...@sympatico.ca> on 2001/11/17 04:27:30 UTC

can hooks be versioned?

I've been getting into the hooks of the repo and was wondering if there was
any way to have those files themselves versioned?  IIRC cvs has most of it's
config files under revision control, not that this is cvs, but it's handy to
have these changes logged.

Cheers,
Jamie.

Re: can hooks be versioned?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 01:26:21PM -0500, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
>
>     > Well, sure.  Put them under revision control.  It doesn't
>     > even have to be Subversion, though it'd be kind of weird if
>     > it weren't. :-)
>
> But will they automatically be checked out on commit, like with
> CVS's checkoutlist?

Write a hook to do the automatic checkout.

The short answer is that Subversion does not come with *specific* support
for the CVS checkoutlist. *However* ... Subversion's hooks are more than
capable of doing the same thing.

I could see setting up a repository laid out like:

/
  trunk/
  tags/
  branches/
  hooks/

And then set up the right hook scripts to look for changes to the hooks/
area and go and update that area.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: can hooks be versioned?

Posted by "Eric Gillespie, Jr." <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

    > Well, sure.  Put them under revision control.  It doesn't
    > even have to be Subversion, though it'd be kind of weird if
    > it weren't. :-)

But will they automatically be checked out on commit, like with
CVS's checkoutlist?

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

"I wish people didn't exist."

Re: can hooks be versioned?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Basil James Whitehouse III <ba...@sympatico.ca> writes:
> I've been getting into the hooks of the repo and was wondering if there was
> any way to have those files themselves versioned?  IIRC cvs has most of it's
> config files under revision control, not that this is cvs, but it's handy to
> have these changes logged.

Well, sure.  Put them under revision control.  It doesn't even have to
be Subversion, though it'd be kind of weird if it weren't. :-)

-K